1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

linksys wireless g router slow on wired

Discussion in 'Networking' started by knives412, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. knives412

knives412 Thread Starter

I just recently hooked up a brand new linksys wireless g router and I have 2 computers one laptop using wireless and one desktop wired into the router. The laptop connects to the internet fine and has no problems but the wired desktop internet web browsing is extremely slow, some websites take so long and then don't even load or give an error. I can't even log into the router through the desktop, i type in the default gateway and it asks me for to login and then it just loads forever and never finishes. The problem can't be on the desktop becuse if I connect it directly to the modem I have no problems. I tried turning off anti-virus programs and have no firewalls still no problem. I called up linksys tech support but they were no help. I tested all cables they are in working condition. Both computers are running windows xp sp2. I even tried to just bypass the router by buying a switch and going from the modem to the switch and pluging the desktop and the router to the switch, but only one of them will work at a time. If anyone knows how to fix this problem please help. Thanks.

2. L8ian

L8ian

Hi.
    Try this step, Log in to the router page,

--Reduce the MTU size from 1500 to 1400.
    --check for the firmware version on the router, If it is a older one, upgrade it to latest one.
    --Also disable the firewall on the router.

3. knives412

knives412 Thread Starter

I have the latest firmware and neither disabling the firewall or setting mtu to 1400 fixed the problem.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You'll probably get better performance if you optimize the MTU size, 1400 is probably too small.

To check the correct or best MTU value try pinging an IP address using the format:

PING <url> –f –l 1472

Start at 1472 and change the end value lower by 8. Repeat until you get the maximum number you can without getting the response ‘Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.’ Then add back the 28 to that value and that’s the best for the connection.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does the laptop work fine when connected to the router using the same LAN port and cable that the desktop is using?

6. knives412

knives412 Thread Starter

The laptop works better then the desktop when wired, it can actually access the router where my desktop cannot. But I do not think its as good as the wireless.

But I have decided not to even bother with it anymore, right now I configured my desktop to serve the internet to the router. So right now I have my desktop connected to the modem and then I have a second ethernet card going from the desktop to the router. It was working fine all day but suddenly it just went out. I don't know why. I have internet on my desktop but not on the wireless laptop. Maybe I don't have it configured perfectly can someone help me out with that?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/744741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice