1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys Wireless N unusual problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by etherdose, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    Heya folks...

I try not to use this forum unless it's something that I just can't figure out. In hindsight I have actually dealt with this one day too long and I and my family are driven nutts by this issue. Any help to finalize my boggle would be a prayer answered.

We purchased a Linksys Wireless N (model WRT150N) from Walmart about 2 months ago. During those months, I have gone through misery. Don't get me wrong, I think this is one of the best routers, but something is causing the router to simply cut the internet connection at random.

It started 3 days after we hooked it up. My wife uses a wireless G card, (which for a while I figured was part of the problem,) and I am connected directly. I have a simple Motorola Vonage in/out voip router that goes into the router as well. The phone seems to work and the internet works fine for a while after a router reset.

Our internet connection is 6500/73 fast dsl. I have plugged directly into the modem to see if my computer loses the internet, but after 1 day of testing, I notice it doesn't. Then after losing the internet a few times, I restart the router and it fixes the problem...(, which is why I come to the opinion that this is the culprit.)

I notice the problem increases if I use any downloader programs, (emule, utorrent, etc) but it also happens at random. I have an encryption key set for the wireless, so I doubt anyone has hacked the network.

Does anyone have any ideas???

(thank you to anyone who gives me some direction)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    Yes, I have Firmware Version: v1.01.9 (although I should have mentioned it.) Also note : It doesn't do this when I connect her directly via lan cable, (which she is now, but we have this horrible cable that spans clear across the house that everyone trips on.)

:-( It only seems to happen when she uses a wireless card, (and we have tried 3 different cards which work.)

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

If this is happening only on a wireless connection,it may be wireless interference.Try changing the wireless channel(1/6/11).
    You could also try re setting the router to it's default settings.These things seem to fix quite a few wireless dropping conditions.
    Good luck.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

That sounds like the router is defective as those routers should have a really strong continuous signal.
    BTW Linksys has great helpful tech support, call them.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It clearly says Linksys...ok, the edit button is very handy, lol.

8. jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

Can you lower the power output or level of the router?

9. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    lower the output level?? I believe I can, but what would this do??

10. indiannika

indiannika

We had the same problem with our linksys wireless n router when we first bought it. It would drop us seemingly at random and we decided it was a piece of junk. For some reason we couldn't return it so we packed it up and forgot about it. We pulled it out a year later and fired it up and it worked like a dream. The two things we learned from our experience are thus: 1)customer service is extremely useful - this thing is pretty hard to get to work on your own. 2) downloading takes up a lot of bandwidth. If you are downloading a lot of stuff, this router will give preference to you and kick everyone else off the internet. I'm not sure if there's a way to fix that problem but I'm sure customer service would be able to help there.

11. jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

My assumption is that lower power output means less heat generated, thus less hardware trouble. However, like indiannika said, calling customer service and describing your issues is a good way to go. If anyone is aware of their product's problems, it would be the original manufacturer.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice