1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys Wireless Network setup help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nfinit1, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nfinit1

nfinit1 Thread Starter

The Set up
    5 XP workstations(new compaq ws), Linksys WRT54G, Linksys USB network adapters...this is a wireless setup
    Now
    1) THis is a workgroup set up. When any pc attempts to open the workgroup I get \\(Computer name) does not have permissions please contact your administrator

All pcs have the same user name and are administrators
    They all have been added to the work group successfully
    The guest accounts are active
    I cannot ping any machine on the network
    They all can get to the internet

Now I can see the shared folders in a couple of pcs but cannot open them
    Sometimes I can see two of the pcs on the network and they can see each other but then it will lose that connection

One specific pc can ping the gateway successfully but cannot access the internet
    I get a page cannoti be displayed error

Can anyone help me understand what I could be doing wrong???

I was told I may want to choose ad hoc instead of infrastructure
    Anymore suggestions

2. coulterp

coulterp

"ad hoc" mode is for (direct) PC-to-PC connections. It does not involve the use of a router.
    If you want to run a LAN (and you have 5 PCs so I assume you do!) then you must must "infrastructure" mode - it is the only mode option to you.

3. nfinit1

nfinit1 Thread Starter

Even though I was told that I might want to change to ad hoc I have not made the changes yet

I cannot ping the other computers but they all can get to the internet

It seems to be a permissions thing
    I have disable windows firewall
    Disabled Mcafee Firewall also

Any other areas I need to look at???

4. nfinit1

nfinit1 Thread Starter

Ok...I have found out that we are using Windows XP home.

I was told that WIndows XP home doesnt support File and Print sharing

Is this true????

5. coulterp

coulterp

Someone has been telling you porky-pies!!

On XP boxes using:

Start / Control Panel / Network Connections
    or
    My Network Places / View Network Connections

you should find an icon for the connection you are using, probably under LAN or High-Speed Internet. eg Local Area Connection. Select and Right Click, select Properties. On the General tab, part way down is the list of items the connection uses. This should include at least "Client for Microsoft Networks", "File and Pritner Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Select Properties. Here you will see if you are configured to "Obtain an IP address automatically". If this is the case your PC picks up its IP address from the router. Alternatively you can manually enter IP details here if you so wish. Probably best to leave it to automatic.

All of your PCs should have a LAN connection along these lines (in your case a wireless connection but wired LAN connections are the same in principle).

Check your PCs:
    - ensure you have the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.x) defined for router and PCs
    - ensure you have the same Subnet Mask, Default Gateway (i.e. the router), and DNS IP addresses on the PCs
    - ensure you have the same workgroup name for all the PCs (watch for trailing spaces)
    - ensure you have enabled File and Printer sharing for all the PCs.

To help troubleshoot:
    - use ipconfig/all on the PCs to examine your IP details
    - use the ping command from the PCs to check IP connectivity; i.e. ping the router by IP address, ping external sites by IP address or name to check external connectivity.
    - use the router status pages (most routers have them) to check that you can see all PCs on your LAN from the router

As you cannot ping anywhere can you check the IP address on your PCs as post back the details for assistance.

You'll also need to check wireless stuff (consult your documentation):
    - correct SSID on router and adaptor cards
    - if using MAC filtering that correct MACs are being use
    - if encryption is being used that the key(s) have been entered correctly on router and all adaptor cards.

6. nfinit1

nfinit1 Thread Starter

I have hard coded the ip address, subnet mask, gateway in the network
    Disabled the firewalls on Macafee and Windows
    The pc's with a value in the DNS cannot get to the internet
    the pc's without a value can get to the internet
    Whats funny is the XP shared folders are showing up on two pc's and I can see the shared folders for all pc's
    I cannot ping the other pc though

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice