1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

linksys wireless pci card need a driver for 64bit windows 7 some say yes some say no-

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xfile47, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Didn't no till after I bought it and it was deleiverd today.

Linksys Wireless-G
    PCI A dapter
    Model number WMP54G
    It says on the box and also when I bought it on the specs on the site it says Windows 2000 or XP with service pack 1 (or later) and says certified for Windows Vista the 2000 or xp or later I took to mean later windows OS Such as windows 7

Anyway the compatibility page I found for windows 7 says it isn't compatible with windows 7 64bit edition.
    How ever some stuff I read on google about it says to do this or that and some say it is running fine.

Can someone help me out I need a driver for this adapter for a windows 7 Home Premium 64bit edition
    I read something about a Ralink rt61 driver someone said that worked but can't find it, Can someone help me find any driver that will work with this adapter I really need to get this computer going , Thanks

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If it has a Vista 64 bit driverthat will usually work for Windows 7.

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

So it at least won't hurt to try it ? It says certified for windows vista doesn't say 32 or 64 so I would imagine both then so it won't hurt the computer to try it then?

4. Hughv

Hughv

It won't hurt to try.
    This seems to be old hardware, and the Linksys site doesn't list any x64 drivers.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You could try right clicking the installation file and select Troubleshoot Compatability It will install it with the best match that may work with Win 7 (Which will probably be XP SP2 mode).

6. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Ok, my next question would be do you no of a wireless card for a desktop PCI slot for windows 7 64 bit edition, I need one with only one atennena, I am running an outside atennena through a wall and then screwing it onto the wirless card to pick up the wireless in the house, The paople I ordered the atennena from said that would work that I should use an access point etc
    but for what I wanted it would work which is the following

My friend wanted a router set up in the house so we set up wireless N linksys router and it works fine. About 250 to 300 ft away he has a steel building with a small eating area and ofc. He bought A new Computer with windows 7 home premium on it with 4 gigs of RAM it is a 64bit edition. I stood in front of the steel building with my dell inspiron laptop and got on his network with no problem but when you went inside the steel building you could not pick it up at all. So I bought this linksys wireless card for the new desktop he got (mainly cause it had only one atennena most others that said for N router had two and three atennea hookups, don't no if that makes a difference for what I am doing but thought it might) anyway got a hold of a company in calif that sells the outside wireless atennena's and told them what I was doing and that I wanted to buy the mobile attenna with an SMA end on it to run through the wall and screw it right onto the wireless card and that should work, atennea gets the signal outside and sends it down the cable to the wireless card inside. The calif company said that would work although they usually use access pts with the atennea's but for this one computer inside that this would work. So I needed a wireless pci card with one atennena to screw the outside atennea to, I don't no if you have a card that has two attennea's on it if you could leave one of there atennena's on it and screw the outside wireless atennena's onto the 2nd one or not, that is why I wanted a card with just one atennena and then I run into this problem, can you tell me where I can find a wireless pci card with just one atennena for window 7 64 bit??

7. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I have found these two drivers supposely work with it has anyone seen these drivers or no anything ab out them, and will it hurt anything to at least try these? Please I need some help

Her is what I have found

These are the two drivers I have found that people are saying worked

Ralink Wirless Turbo RT61/RT2561 Drivers - 64-bit

Download Railink RT2561/RT2661/RT2500 (RT61) Driver v.1.2.8.0/2.1.6.0/3.0.1.0 | Catalog - X-DRIVERS.COM: eXtremly full software portal
    this is the site the above one is from
    http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/dr...nies/ralink/models/rt61/wrong_code/13982.html

this is the address to where I found the one below this so maybe this will help you see what they said and if I am just hoping or what
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...e/thread/9c5fc9c2-e2d1-4b0c-bd37-8619b399f2c9

And then some say on the ralink site the 2.0.3.0 64 bit vista driver works from 11/11/06 I had typed in the wireless-g pci model WMP54G WHEN i found these do you no anything about these and would it be ok to try them??

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!