1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys wireless problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by clemsontiger, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clemsontiger

clemsontiger Thread Starter

I am having problems connecting with my linksys wireless router. I have a Compaq Presario 900z with dsl. I had the linksys working but put sprintpcs phone connection on here for when I am traveling. It has not worked since. It will let me bring up my default web page but it says I am working offline. When I click off of offline, it brings up the sprint connection and until I click off of it three times, it will not let me continue to the next page that I want. I have to do this with every page. I have a great connection with my router, it is at 93%. The box in the right hand corner shows one green light and one yellow light.
    I am frustrated! :mad: Any help would be appreciated

2. austinguy

austinguy

Since I don't have a SprintPCS phone connection or DSL, I'm not sure if I can help. But it'll perhaps give us more to go by if you let us know 1) what operating system you are using 2) what type of wireless network adapter you are using 3) what type of hardware you are using to connect to SprintPCS.

If you're using Windows XP with Service Pack 2, I would think you should be able to click on the wireless icon in your system tray, and it should tell you what wireless networks are available. Once you highlight the network you're trying to connect to, click "connect" and you should be able to surf the web normally.

I seriously doubt anything is wrong with your Linksys router. I believe it's a driver related issue if anything.

3. clemsontiger

4. clemsontiger

I am using windows xp and the wireless adaptor is a linksys adaptor and router and I use just a phone cable with usb connection for sprintpcs. The local area connection has a red x over it so there must be some problem there.

5. clemsontiger

I don't know what happened to get your post under my name. Anyway, I am using windows xp and a linksys wireless card and router. I only use a regular phone cord with usb on the other end for sprintpcs. The local area connection has a red x over it. Could this have something to do with it?

6. saelruth

saelruth

Well, I don´t know for how long though. I too had and still have this problem. However, I was able to fix it temporarily and have lost my linksys again. I an insert other wireless adapters and they work...so it is something with the Linksys Adapter. Here´s what you have to do.
    Symptom: Your network connection gets stuck "Acquiring IP Address or DNS Connection"

Steps to Fix This Problem:

If you are receiving this error, you should run the Microsoft patch (KB884020) for it. Follow the instructions below to do this. Alternatively, you can download a zip file with the patch, registry file, and instructions by clicking here.

**** Create a System restore Point First !!!

1) Download the patch from Microsoft's site
    2) Run the update to install it
    3) Run this short Registry fix to complete the update. Type the following lines in Notepad and save the file as FixReg.reg on your desktop, then double click on it to install into your registry.
    4) Reboot your computer
    5) Reset your TCP/IP stack by downloading and going to this website and running the patch "www.pchell.com/downloads/WinsockXPFix.exe" Visual Basic program designed to fix corrupted TCP/IP issues, host file problems and a variety of other connectivity issues.

This should do it. It worked right away and great for about a week, now I´m back to the drawing board and using a cheap card again with less range and stability.

7. clemsontiger

I managed to get it working, but the only way for it to work was for me to disconnect dsl on my desktop and connect to it through my laptop. It works fine that way. Any ideas why I cannot have both the laptop and the desktop connected at the same time?

8. saelruth

saelruth

This solution may sound, and actually be, too simple. Are you sure your computer is not reading your dial-up connection as the default connection? Also, another simple check is to go through all the settings of the dial-up connection (right click>properties) and for the final tab (advanced) the second box..."establish a dial-up connectionw henever a computer on my network attempts to access the internet" may be interfering. Finally, if you used an install disk for your dialup connection...I would get all the appropriate information from the settings (dialup number and any other information necessary (password and name, etc.)) then I would uninstall sprint and simply set up a new dialup connection through windows. Many of the setup disks throw something else into the mix and are unnecessary.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice