1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys Wireless router problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by herbeey, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. herbeey

herbeey Thread Starter

Hi

I have a linksys wireless router that i purchased a year ago. I have two wired computers hooked into it as well as my cable modem. I also have a wireless laptop on the router. Everything works fine, internet on all of them. The only problem that i have is that my laptop cannot see my wired computers even though they are on the same workgroup and all ip addresses are correct and in order. If i plug a ethernet cable into my laptop i instantly can access my other computer, unplug it and its gone. I did have it working after some trial and error 6 months ago, but my computer for some reason had the ms networking uninstalled, i reinstalled it and now it will access through the wireless. Any ideas as i cannot remember what i did to make it work.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you checked the firewall on the laptop / pC's - all of them
    you should be able to set them up to accept a range of IP address on all of them

summary
    It works on cable NOT on wireless

3. herbeey

herbeey Thread Starter

I checked the firewall and everything seems to be in order. Now i cant even look at the workgroup when im on wireless only. It says workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to access, but i know i do.

4. herbeey

herbeey Thread Starter

I think i fixed the problem. I changed my wireless router from WPA security to WEP. I can now access the other computers. Any ideas why this would make a difference? Also is there any big difference between the securities?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

WPA is preferred, WEP is pretty easily cracked.

The only reason I can think that WPA didn't work is the support for it on one end of the other was flawed.

I'd upgrade the firmware on the router, your wireless card's drivers, and see if WPA works with the latest firmware and drivers.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice