1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys Wireless Router & SBS2003 Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aynz, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aynz

aynz Thread Starter

Hi all, can someone please help me with my problem?

I have a home network (server - sbs2003/ISA2000, workstation laptop - winxp sp1) and I used to have a cable modem connection and the home network worked fine. I've recently moved home and took the opportunity to get a wireless router/modem and a wireless card for my laptop.

Now the problem I have is this, when connecting the server/laptop to the wireless router I get an IP address from the router going to the server fine (router default gateway 192.168.1.1 IP address to server 192.168.1.101) I have switched off DHCP on the router so that an IP address can be given to the laptop from the server internally, but this does not happen. I get a private 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address instead. Now if I re-enable my internal network card on the laptop and reboot it connects to the network fine and issues an internal ip address and I get internet access as well as access to all shared drives. Also if I enable DHCP on the router and use the wireless card I get a 192.168.1.102 IP address to the laptop from the router and can get internet access (but no shared drive access). I have switched off the router firewall for the time being until I can resolve the problem (winxp firewall is not enabled)

Obviously I want my laptop to access the home network via the wireless connection so what am I missing? Why am I not getting an internal IP address when trying to connect to the server via the wireless connection.

I have updated the wireless card drivers and also the firmware for the router. Can anyone else give me some idea as to why this is happening?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice