1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys Wireless router: WAP54G

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alexenjen, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexenjen

alexenjen Thread Starter

I'm having problems with email sending thru this linksys wireless router. I'm getting internet connection. But when I send out email, no connection. The pop3 account settings are correct. I had the same problem with email also when I used a hub.

There's something about this pop3 email account.

2. chakorules

chakorules

Typically with any ROUTER, you need to make sure the PORTS are turned on for what you are trying to access.

Here are some typical port numbers:

FTP 21TCP
    Telnet 23 TCP
    SMTP 25 TCP
    HTTP 80 TCP
    POP3 110 TCP
    HTTPS (secure) 443 TCP
    IRC 194 TCP
    ICQ 5190 TCP, (note: ICQ by default will use this port to connect, and any available port above 1024 to listen for new connections. This is kind of insecure, so I would recommend going to the ICQ site and reading their firewall configuration info
    AOL messenger 5190, 4099 TCP (also will self configure to available ports)
    Yahoo IM (self configures)
    MSN messenger 6891-6900 TCP for file transfer, 6901 TCP/UDP for voice (otherwise self configures messaging)
    Kazaa 1214 TCP (can be reconfigured within Kazaa)
    Games** For various multiplayer games, check the websites for specifics.

If you have a WEIRD POP3 mail setting or PORT number defined, then your going to have to configure your router to pass the port number for POP3 access. By default, 110 should be turned on out of the box on a router, unless it got changed. If you don't know for sure, do a factory reset on our router, and verfiy the port number your e-mail software is using to checking mail....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!