1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys wireless?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by qpqpzmzm, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

I have set up my Linksys wireless network and am thrilled with its ease of use (after mucho problems with Dlink) but have one little issue I cannot find a fix for.

I set up my laptop as the second computer on the network and have initialized my main account and everything is working fine but I cannot get the "guest" account to talk work.

I gave the guest account "administrator" privaledges thinking that would do it. I also followed the full "configure the PC" instructions a second time to get all the settings the same but no luck.

Anyone have any ideas.

Also when doing the "configure the PC" thing the second time it set up a second "network Connection" and Icon on my task bar but the second one shows "network cable unplugged" even though I am not using it and using the first one which works (proof is this post).

SHould it have set up a second "network Connection" simply to run a guest account? And how do I delete the second "network connection" and get it off my task bar?

2. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

bump...

3. ezymony

ezymony

No you dont need a second connection to use guest account you can click my computer network connections right click the connection you dont want to use click disable.

4. matrix1000

matrix1000

If xp or 2000 pro you only need ONE connection. windows doesn't care how many accounts you have on the machine it will always use that one connection.... the reason you are having problems is that windows may be trying to connect to the first "Connection" it sees... which looks like its the broken one.

If you are running xp open up control pannel >network connections and delete any icons that have "Bridged" in the description... the only connection that should be in there is 1 wireless connection. also open up that connection by double clicking it...click properties and then "Tcp/IP...." make sure both "Obtain .... Automatically" raido buttons are checked... then click ok ok ok and try again...

5. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

I am running 2000 and not XP. Anyway I am unable to delete the first network connection and it stays on my task bar. It is disabled though. Is there no way to remove it?

This account obvoiusly uses the enabled connection as I am able to type this but the guest account seems to default to the disabled one as I get a "not connected error" there. Any suggestions?

6. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

bump.

I communicated with linksys (my router provider) via email and they suggested it was a problem with my wire card connection (also Linksys) and its account settings. They suggested that I needed to set the cards access to allow the guest and other accounts access but they did not suggest how I do this...Any ideas are appreciated???

btw...I checked in "My Computer"..."wireless connection" and could not find any User Account info.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice