1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

linksys wirless router problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shawnhpi, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shawnhpi

shawnhpi Thread Starter

ok this is my problem.. Im runnin roadrunner off of a linksys router (non wirless) at the current time. Im in an apartment and am feedin off some one else. I don't have access right now to there router or PC . but I am wondering why I cant connect my own router up to the current router (no i don't know if they have a firewall or not, im hopin some one can help me befor I go messin with there system).

I have done this before .. modem to router to wireless router with all ports workin. Now its modem to router to wirless router and the ports are not workin on the wireless along with the wireless..

My wireless router is a linksys -B

Is there any way for me to check if there is a firewall on there router with out going on there computer>? Im able to connect to there router so why not addin my own on my side.. My laptop picks up the wirless router but with no internet signal.

Just got my new computer tower setup and im sick of unpluggin the cable to put in the 360 to play live. and would like to use the PSP wirless...

if any one can help that would great. .

windows XP pro
    pen 4
    I think that should be all needed..

If any more is just let me know..

Aim me if you want wxxshawnxxw

2. Lochworks

Lochworks

They have probably turned off DHCP so that their router doesn't hand out IP addresses. You would need to know what subnet they're using in order to daisy-chain your router with theirs.

3. shawnhpi

shawnhpi Thread Starter

how would I go about turnin this back on so i can hook my wirelss router to there non w/router?? and would the be any problems that i should know about or anything I can tell em that nothin will happen etc..?

this is for any one if they stunble across it..

I want to get WMC but i don't really understand it.. I hook up my cable (from TV) to my PC with the DVI right? and that allows me to run the wmc program and watch TV correct? would this also allow me to record to my pc's HD ? and having the 360 with WMC what's so good about that? is WMC all talk or is it actually a good buy?.

Shawn.

4. Lochworks

Lochworks

You would need to get into the Administration screen on their router. If they do have DHCP disabled, they probably did it so people can't easily access their wireless router. It would be best, if that's the case, to ask them what IP subnet they are using and you can set your router to an unused address within that subnet.

5. shawnhpi

shawnhpi Thread Starter

Ok... but they are on a standard router i have the wirless router I want to hook up.. I am gonna have to go mess with they stuff..

Shawn.

6. Lochworks

Lochworks

My bad....yeah, you're still gonna have to mess with their stuff to figure it out.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What you are doing is illegal, and TSG will not help with this project. :( Please read the TSG Rules, and Lochworks you need to read them as well. Don't come here looking for assistance with illegal activities, and don't offer help to others that request illegal help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/454470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice