1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys WMP54G Major Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ykaem, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ykaem

ykaem Thread Starter

I am running a newly modified (b/c of a fried hard-drive) PC w/ XP Pro. I'm living in student housing with a total of 7 people, all running PCs on a wireless network. Everyone is using Linksys wireless cards on our Linksys router.
    When I had my computer rebuilt after the original hard-drive died, I took it back to my house and used my wireless network there. It worked 100% on this network. I then returned back to school and tried to connect to our Linksys wireless network, but there is no internet. I can connect to the router, but not the internet.
    I called Linksys support, spent about 4 hours dealing with their outsourced techies.
    I tried every option to get my system back working.
    • Releasing/Renew IP address
    • Manually added IP address, subnet, etc etc...
    • Updated router firmware
    • reinstalled wireless adapter software/drivers
    • the list goes on...
    My system is the only one out of 7 that is having this problem....
    I'm at my wit's end with this.:(
    I need the internet for school and I am running out of options here.
    I would appreciate any suggestions anyone can give to me.
    Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

3. ykaem

ykaem Thread Starter

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XXXXXX
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : no-domain-set.bellcanada

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-D8-00-0D-49

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : no-domain-set.bellcanada
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-B6-57-47-0E
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.103
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 28, 2007 7:04:44 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 29, 2007 7:04:44 PM

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In the following the first ping test works but the second fails?

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address and router's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

The "Gateway" is the router's IP address.

Now for some troubleshooting. Following is how to use ping to test for communication with your router, the internet, and the internet with symbolic name.

1. On the PC open a Command window and type
    ping IProuter (where IProuter is the IP address of the router)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

IF you got replies,
    2. ping 66.94.234.13 (or any other internet address you know)

If you got replies,
    3. ping www.yahoo.com (or any other internet name)

5. ykaem

ykaem Thread Starter

whenever i have tested the ping to the router it ranges from 0% less to 100%
    to websites it usually times out then returns with a variance of 0% loss to 100%, same as to the router.
    i just pinged google.com and it sent 4 packets, received 3, lost 1.... average 50ms for an example. it is never the same.
    im really running out of ideas.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So you have internet access, but the access even to the router is not consistent. Since others are running OK I'm guessing something about your computer or the wireless signal.

Do you have the most up to date chipset drivers, especially network controller? Do you have the latest driver for your wireless adapter (get it from laptop manufacturer if the adapter is integrated)?

You are using either a Linksys utility or Windows XP's WZC to manage the connection. Are you sure that the other one is not running? Have you tried the other one?

How strong is the signal (for you)? Do you detect other wireless networks on the same or close channel? Any chance for wireless interference that the other folks don't experience (like closer to a 2.4Ghz cordless phone or a big TV or the refrigerator)?

7. ykaem

ykaem Thread Starter

I am completely updated, the linksys program is not installed.
    The problem is that my computer works perfectly on a different wireless network, the problem started when i brought it to school last tuesday.
    I have decent internet on it now after fooling around with some settings, but the issue now is that the connection breaks like every 5-10 minutes and i lose internet. the zero utility then automatically connects and its fine until the next time it disconnects. this is very annoying.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since you're working OK other places, I suspect wireless interference, as mentioned before.

It could also be WZC checking for "a better signal." If this is happening the only fix I know of is to ditch WZC and use Linksys or else disable WZC after it has made the connection.

Or, if you don't have SP2 (SP2 supposedly fixed the problem), try this:
    1. Click start button
    2. Click "My Network Places"
    3. Right-click and click on "Properties"
    4. Right-click on "Local Area Connection" and click on "Properties"
    5. click on the "Authentication" tab
    6. Uncheck "Enable network access control using IEEE 802.1X"
    7. Click "OK"

9. ykaem

ykaem Thread Starter

it is back to not working again.
    i tried unchecking the IEEE 802.1X... still no change.
    i am going insane with this.
    here is the current issue, up to date...
    the wireless card can find the network, it cant connect. it will only remain connected now for at maximum 2-5 minutes if that. i cannot during this time access the internet. the odd time however there is enough to get to google.com, but very seldom.
    linksys has been contacted again, they have no answer.
    last night i had connectivity on the internet at high speeds but would disconnect from the network every 5 minutes. after this, nobody else (6 other people) had major issues with their connections, they could only receive limited connectivity.
    there are no viruses on my system as it is completely brand new and has been searched multiple times just in case.
    i beg you for your continued help and the help of others. i am on the verge of putting myself into debt by purchasing a laptop to resolve the issue.
    thanks again.

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ummmm...

Sorry folks ( and someone correct me if I'm wrong please...), but that doesn't seem right...

Shouldn't that number be a 1?

Try going into the properties of the TCP/IP setings and select "Obtain DNS Address Automatically"...

Or am I just being a stupid troll again?

11. ykaem

ykaem Thread Starter

obtain DNS server address was already set to automatic, ive also tried manually doing such, but this does not work any better.

would anyone know why my system will not allow me to reinstall the linksys disk anymore?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    SP2 had a whole slew of networking, especially wireless, fixes and improvements. Chasing a wireless problem in SP1 can be challenging, but not very productive.

Nice catch on that DNS server address, Jedi_Master! But that should mean that NO internet sites can be accessed by name. And that alone should not cause any disconnects. Must be just part of whatever the whole problem is.

So, ykaem, if you don't have SP2 it's past time to get it. And if you do, at the risk of being reredundant, consider wireless interference.

13. ykaem

ykaem Thread Starter

thanks for the continued help.
    i have sp2 so i can discount that solution, and i have two systems running side-by-side to see if there is any wireless interference (if this is indeed what you meant, please excuse my ignorance if it is not), and the other system is working fine.

what solutions could you suggest if it was indeed the router itself that is causing the problems.
    what exactley does the firmware accomplish in a router, could there be a bug of some kind? is there any diagnostic tool i could run through it to find out?
    thanks again
    ykaem

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Two things that you can try with the router. First, note all settings (especially WAN or Internet), reset it to factory default settings, and then reconfigure. Sometimes this simple procedure will prod a flaky router into behaving.

And the second possibility is a firmware update. If one exists it means that the manufacturer probably did fix at least one bug. Be sure to do any firmware update with an ethernet connected computer, after downloading the firmware to the computer.

Firmware is simply software (computer code) that has been bound to specific addresses in the router's Erasible Programable Read Only Memory. (At least they used to be called EPROMs; maybe a new type of memory now.)

With another wireless computer running successfully in the same place at the same time you've convinced me that it's time to shut up about wireless interference! :)

15. ykaem

ykaem Thread Starter

I updated the router firmware at the onset of all these problems and it did not resolve anything. I had hoped maybe there was something else wrong with the router and not my system as my system works perfectly on other networks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!