1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys wpc51ab on xp professional

Discussion in 'Networking' started by d-rick, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. d-rick

d-rick Thread Starter

Does anyone else have the new Linksys dual band WPC51AB running on a Windows XP Pro system?

If so, are you able to run it on multiple AP's, or get 152 bit WEP working?

Please post if you are.

Thnx

2. calabash

calabash

Since I don't believe that the OS is relevant, yes I have the AB WAP and it is working with WEP. Allthough I'm on 98se and one W2k.
    I don't understand what you mean when you ask if it has the ability to run on multiple Acsess Points however. Could you clarify?

3. d-rick

d-rick Thread Starter

the linksys config utility work on 2000 & 98, but not on xp, that is the crux of the problem.

i'm looking for a workaround

4. calabash

calabash

Silly question of the week..
    did you download the current driver for XP from linksys' site.
    Don't hate me. I had to ask.

I've had terrible luck with the installation programs from linksys (always having to use the browser to connect and config), but I've never had a problem with the desktop nic config utility.

5. d-rick

d-rick Thread Starter

not a problem.

yes i am using the 12/02 version of the driver (the one before that didn't work AT ALL).

Linksys just isn't up to writing drivers for XP it seems

6. calabash

calabash

Not being familiar with XP, the following may not be relevant but..

Have you tried going into "safe mode" and installing the driver. I've had programs that would _not_ install in Win 98 for anything, but worked just great in safe mode. Then, back in the normal win, the programs ran fine.

Hope XP has a safe mode.

7. d-rick

d-rick Thread Starter

i think it is the windows xp wireless config utilities limitations.

i can connect with ap's with the driver, but cannot config the card to screen out unwanted ap's

8. calabash

calabash

I've had 10 hours sleep in the last 48 (winter break - crunch time at the labs), so humor me when I say: "Huh?"

You have more than one WAP? Are they on Infrastructure mode or Ad-Hoc?

I think I have not had a clear picture of your physical setup. What I thought was that you had one WAP (wireless access point) and that was the linksys AB box.
    Then there were 3 client computers. Win 98, W2k and XP respectivly.
    I never did ask if the computers were running wireless A NIC cards or wireless B NIC cards. I'm asking now.
    The Win 98 and W2k machine could connect to the WAP, but the XP could not get the config utility to install.

But due to your last post, I'm confuzled. <smile> Are you saying that the XP box is picking up both the A and the B signal?

9. d-rick

d-rick Thread Starter

to recap, i live in a condo, and both my neghbors have ap's.

i have 7 client computers, ranging from xp pro(3), win 2k as(2), 1 win 200 pro 1 linux, and my ps2.

ps2, 1 win xp pr0, and win 2k pro are running b, 1 xp pro is tunning ab

and yes, my dual band card picks up both (it's supposed to).

the problem is the neighbors ap's not the dual band.

hope this clears it up??

10. calabash

calabash

Ahhh! It's all so clear now! :)

Your neighbor must be running ad-hoc.

So, now, the config utilty should let you set your SSID and your channel as well as Infrastructure vs ad-hoc.

I've configured my SSID to be different on each band.

Let me power up my laptop in the morning. I also have O'reilly's book on Wireless 812.b. Let me see what I can dig up. I think it's do-able.

'Night

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!