1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys WPC54G Card Help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cyberwolf, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cyberwolf

cyberwolf Thread Starter

Hi, I have been trying for a month now to get a Linksys WPC54G card to work in my NEC Versa notebook. I have tried a ton of things so far. I have updated the BIOS per NEC. I have the TI 1130 Cardbus controller so I updated the driver with the beta driver that Linksys told me to use. I have replaced the card with a new one per Linksys tech support ??? and that did not help. The computer recognizes the card when it is plugged into the cardbus slot and the power light comes on. In device driver it gives me error code 10. I have reinstalled win 98se several times/ng. Can anyone help by telling me, what all the networking settings should look like for win 98.

Thanx,

2. panzer999

panzer999

Don't know if this helps you, but I use that card on a TI 1250 cardbus on this laptop with Windows 98, no problems.

You may have to switch cards....the drivers for the WPC54G might not work with your 1130 cardbus.

3. cyberwolf

cyberwolf Thread Starter

Hi
    I have not looked into changing the TI Cardbus card. Do you know what the difference between the 1130 and the 1250 is. Can these be had used or cheap. The whole Versa 6030 computer is only worth 50-100 bucks ;)

Tnx

4. panzer999

panzer999

You're going to change the cardbus???

Good luck on that one :D I know nothing about doing this.

I'd just flop the WPC54G up on E-bay and get a new card that is suggested for the 1130. But don't do that. Someone here that knows more about this than me might be able to help you.

5. cyberwolf

cyberwolf Thread Starter

OK if I was going to do that, got any idea on where to find info on what wireless g cards work with TI-1130 cardbus controller and win 98se? Plus it has to work in a Linksys router system. All the cards I looked at the other day at Best Buy said they were compatible with win 98.

Tnx

6. panzer999

panzer999

OK, before we do all that, go here:

http://www.linksys.com/download/driver.asp?dlid=92&osid=7

Look down the page a bit until you see this:

If you are having problems using this Adapter and you have a Texas Instrument CardBus Controller, please download this driver

Download and try that driver.

Post back and let us know how it works out.

7. cyberwolf

cyberwolf Thread Starter

Hi...already did that. Didnt make any change. The bios Update I got from NEC got the Cardbus recognizing and powering up the WPC54G linksys card. But there is still some reason why the networking is not working. Linksys told me to get the NEC Bios Update which I did. I was almost thinking I was home free when it was powering up but instead NG. Device manager changed from having an IRQ failure to assign/conflict error to failure to set up error 10 after the Bios update.

Its a fun project anyway. I am learning a ton from this. Its an old Notebook but I just wanted it to surf the net through my networl around the house. I still am hoping to find the answer.

Tnx

8. panzer999

panzer999

So the card is powering up, and the software is running, right?

And you are getting a 'failure to setup: error 10'?

Certainly need to know if the software is running.

9. cyberwolf

cyberwolf Thread Starter

The Linksys software is running and says NO ASSOCIATION WITH AP.

10. panzer999

panzer999

I've been looking around and I can't find any info on this problem

My guess would be the drivers are not working with the cardbus, but that is just a guess. When I had the wrong card installed on this laptop, the software would come up with an error message at start up, then would shut itself down. So the software wouldn't run at all.

Maybe someone else knows about this....

11. cyberwolf

cyberwolf Thread Starter

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice