1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys WRT port forwarding.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drdavidlieb, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drdavidlieb

drdavidlieb Thread Starter

I have a Lynksys WRT100 router which I need to configure for an internet cycling program. Here are the instructions.
    Settings
    Overview
    Each device that accesses to internet has is unique address called IP (or external IP) that determinates it univocally in the internet network. Each device has many ports that allow it to exchange data with outside. Each port can be used from just one program at time. So each data that goes through internet from one computer to another is always addressed in the following way: IP:port to reach the correct computer and program.
    The problem is caused as the router "creates" an internal network, based on itself and the other computers (even if there is only one computer). In fact, the router is a device that allows to share the connection with more computers.All the devices (router and computers) of the local network has a local address called local IP, that determinates univocally them in the local network. From internet all the devices in the local network has the same external IP, that is the address of the local network. Thus your computer has a local IP that is different from the external IP.
    So when some data is addressed to RealAxiom from internet, they use the external IP of the router and the port used by RealAxiom (external IP:port). ​
    The problem is that the Router doesn’t know where to send these data as it could be any of the devices of the local network (in fact, all the devices have the same external IP). To "teach" to the router where to send this data, you should modify the NAT (Network Address Translation) table of the router.
    The NAT table helps the router to re-address the data coming from internet, to the right computer and port in the local network, using the local IP address.
    Settings
    In this case, you should "teach" to the router that all the data arriving from internet at the ports of RealAxiom (external IPa:port) should be re-addressed to the computer and ports of RealAxiom (local IP2:port).
    Essentially you should teach to the router that all the data arrived from internet from port 1234 to 1299 should be re-addressed to your computer a the same ports.
    This should be done from the configuration panel/window of your router. How to access to your router may change from brand to brand, model to model and state to state, but often you can to this clicking on http://192.168.1.1/
    In the router’s settings you should search for NAT configuration (or similar related to NAT). Sometime is under "advance" or "sever" settings.
    You should now create/add a new rule with the following data:
    Name of the config/rule: Realaxiom
    Type: TCP
    Port (externals): Set a range from port 1234 up to 1299
    Local ip: 192.168.1.101
    Port (internal): Set a range from port 1234 up to 1299
    Now close the router configuration panel/window and try again the test.
    I cannot get it to work using port forwarding and port triggering.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried turning off your firewall in case it is blocked elsewhere?

3. drdavidlieb

I allowed the program in the firewall, and I created a specific rule in the firewall. However, I did not turn off the firewall.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And you are sure that your "modem" is not a modem/router combo giving you another NAT layer?

5. drdavidlieb

I have a cable router for the high speed internet connection (Comcast cable), and that is linked to the router.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice