Linksys WRT54G Router Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

justin1988

Hey helpful people,

I have an old WRT54G router from probably at least 5 years ago, and lately it has been giving me a lot of trouble. My wireless connection will suddenly terminate for no reason, and my laptop will not be able to find any connections, making me have to reset the router, sometimes at least once a day. I power cycle this thing constantly, and updated it to the latest firmware a while ago. Is it just time to get a new one? I'm a college student and really can't afford the nice N router I want, which would be upwards of 100 dollars. Any advice?

This is my router's image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/WRT54G_v2_Linksys_Router_Digon3.jpg

Again, it has the latest firmware, which is at least 2 years old. I updated it about 3 months ago when I was having the same kind of trouble.

etaf

First Name
Wayne
often updating the firmware on an old router will extend the life slightly - but router do wear out and 5 years i would say its time for a change

the only advantage on a "N" would be the speed and extended coverage in theory, my N router actually did not extend the coverage
Also the speed will only be of benefit when coping across the network - your ISP download speed would probably be the factor to determine the speed
what are you paying the ISP for downlad speed ?

justin1988

I get whatever the normal speeds are for the basic, least expensive internet plan for my ISP. I'm not sure the exact cost, but I pay 150 per month for cable, phone, and internet all together from the same company. This router is just dying, I think, but I can't afford a new one. Also, I have an Xbox 360 on the other end of the house, and this router doesn't have a long enough range to give me good signal. All signs seem to be pointing to me needing a new N router with greater range. Any recommendations? I've always been a linksys guy myself, but perhaps tech savvy people would recommend another comapny?

etaf

First Name
Wayne
i have dealt with most makes of routers - and have personally had , linksys, netgear and d-link with an edimax repeater , all seem OK - the d-link died after 5 years, had to keep being reset and then when powered up did not run, all the time

see what after Christmas bargains you can find , as i say I have been disappointed with the range claims of N

I get whatever the normal speeds are for the basic,
not sure what that means in US - doesnt really mean much in UK as so many companies offer different speed choices , although thats changing slowly to be just the limits of the line distance from the exchange on ADSL

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online