1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys WRT54G Wireless Security Settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Big Boz, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Big Boz

Big Boz Thread Starter

I connected and configured my wireless router and all desktops and laptops will work when wired. Laptops and iPods will find the router, ask for the password but not connect. The security mode was set to WPA Personal. When I changed the security mode to WEP, all wireless devices now connect and can access the web. I would really like to have it set to WPA, so how do I get the devices to work when in the WPA security mode?

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I seemed to have had the same problem. I assigned a password and set it up to the WPA2 and my laptops would not connect. I set it then to WEP and was able to sign in with password and both laptops connected. I then set it back to the WPA2 and laptops are still connecting. Anyway, I think thats how it all went down. They are still working after a week:)

3. Big Boz

Big Boz Thread Starter

I think I found it.

When set to WPA there are WPA Algorithms that give me options of TKIP, AES or TKIP+AES.

If set to AES or TKIP+AES the laptops and devices do not connect.

If set to TKIP only, then the devices will connect.

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I forgot to mention that when I did install my system, Network Magic installed and this is the program running my network. I'm sure set up is different as I can see by what you have had to go through.

Glad it's working for you:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!