1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys WRT54GL wireless connection issue (DHCP related)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by giorgio79, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. giorgio79

giorgio79 Thread Starter

Hello,

An electricity outage somehow messed up my linksys router.

Basically, I can only connect to it with a wireless device if I do a static assign for the primary gateway as 192.168.1.1, the usual subnet of 255.255.... and a static IP like 192.168.1.110 which is within the range of the linksys router.

Like this I can connect fine.

Yet, setting the IP to automatic in Windows XP, it does not recognize the router, and the autodiscovery does not work. I could live with this if I only had a laptop, but I also have an SPH101 Netgear Skype phone, whcih recognizes the network but cannot connect. I suspect because of this IP issue.

Could you help me resolve this issue so that my wireless devices can connect with autodiscovery and DHCP again?

2. Sponsor

3. AZenTech

AZenTech

I would start by resetting your router. Make sure you re-enter all security settings, etc.. Then drop the wireless profiles from the devices that connect. Reconnect and see if that does it.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Also.Hold the re set button in for at least 30 seconds.
    This resets to all factory defaults,so good idea to know the default logon and your current ones,if changed.password/id.Think it is admin/admin,but your manual will guide you on this.

5. giorgio79

giorgio79 Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the tips.

I tried resetting it via the reset button, and from the admin factory reset option as well but it seems the wireless devices cannot connect via DHCP.

Strangely enough, the wired devices connect fine. Initially they had some issues too, but when I disabled/reenabled the DHCP server they were able to connect with Automatic IP assignment in Windows XP.

Could this be a router issue, or do I have some kind of misconfiguration?

I even tried disabling the firewall in the router, and unticking the "Block anonymous connections" still no luck.

Should I be getting a replacement for this router?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If wired devices connect, I'm hard pressed to believe the router won't allow wireless DHCP connections!

The firewall and "anonymous connections" wouldn't affect this at all.

7. giorgio79

giorgio79 Thread Starter

Thanks John for the reply.

Exactly that is the issue. The router seems to block wireless DHCP but I have no clue why, and where I can reenable it.

Should I switch to another firmware like tomato?

8. JohnWill

I'd start by upgrading the firmware to the latest version, then doing the factory reset again and reconfiguring it. Do the reset using the reset button for 15 seconds, not the menu option. I've found cases where the menu option didn't actually do a proper factory reset.

If that doesn't do it, I'd try DD-WRT or Tomato and see if that helps.

This sure seems to be some oddity with the router. I can't imagine how a firmware upgrade AND a factory reset wouldn't get it's mind right.

9. giorgio79

giorgio79 Thread Starter

Hi John,

I reset the router as you said for 30 secs, and flashed to the latest firmware.

No luck unfortunately. I will try flashing to a previous firmware before I get a replacement.

10. JohnWill

Could simply be broken, it happens.

11. giorgio79

giorgio79 Thread Starter

Hello,

Thought I post a little update.

OVer the weekend I took the linksys router to the shop where they tested it and they said that they managed to connect with wireless DHCP.

They noticed that my router was set to gateway mode instead of router mode, and I should try with router mode.

Hmmm, the setup wizard recommended gateway mode but now I will play around with router mode.

One issue I noticed is that when I Switched to router mode I was unable to get an IP address again, so not sure. Maybe I Will have to pay a bit more.

The way I have my home internet setup is that I have a high speed ADSL modem from my internet company, and I connect the linksys router with PPPoE to this one.

If anyone has any ideas they are appreciated.

12. JohnWill

I don't have a clue. I've never seen a standard SOHO router that when reset to factory defaults didn't operate properly. After a factory reset, a couple have required enabling the wireless configuration, but that's about it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792467