Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linnux on a Windows 10 system

Solved 
1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200615014153.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (785 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO 30C7, ver SDK0J40700 WIN 3258032275213
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 14A0, s/n R301R78L
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
I have been debating about using Linnux as another system to make use of for just very private connections. As well as the few times I visit FaceBook. I have installed the Tor browser but leaving it set as suggested gets me a couple of problems. Would a Linnux based active compartment on my computer do well? Next question: if so how do I install Linnux on a Windows 10 environment. Lord knows the hackers are out there and if a Linnux compartment will help keep me from those guys I would like to try it. Is the Tor Browser good enough or can I install Linnux on this system. I have the room.

See less See more
#2 ·
Would a Linnux based active compartment on my computer do well?
I assume by "Linnux" you probably mean a Linux distribution--an operating system based on the Linux kernel. Try one or several as a "Live CD," which actually can also be a DVD or USB flash drive, and boots and runs without installing. If it does not do well, or you don't care for it, just discard it and try another one. If it does do well you can decide whether to learn how to install it and have a dual boot (ability to choose either OS when booting).

#3 ·
I have been debating about using Linnux as another system to make use of for just very private connections.
If that is the only reason for considering a dual boot with a Linux based distribution it is not IMHO worthwhile
Use the Edge browser security features
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4533959/microsoft-edge-learn-about-tracking-prevention

That together with Windows Security Centre and all its allied settings will probably protect you as much as Linux will.

and if you are concerned about such issues then Facebook is IMHO the last place to be unless you have taken the necessary steps to ensure your public profile does not include your date of birth, relationships, phone numbers, address etc.

If you still decide you want to run Linux then a complete system image is vital before you start.
To ensure that if it goes pear shaped you can go back to as is now.

Then you can either install it as a virtual machine or install it as an actual drive partition on the computer

As my colleague has said try it first on a live session in ram and then make your decision and we can then advise you.

#4 ·
I can hear what you are saying but my interpretation tells me there are no secrets using Edge. I feel their intervention into privacy would be as good as using Google Chrome. I use protonmail and have not had one scam or unrequested message in three months. I want my browser to be the same no matter what system I use.I thank you for your advice but will use Tor browser for anything I want to try and protect. Not sure about the complete conversion to Linux for privacy but am very careful when I use a browser or anything for my purchases or other private communications. Perhaps you are correct in the advice you give but using anything made by Microsoft or Google raises my alerts very high. Thank you for your input Macboatmaster.

#7 ·
............. Lord knows the hackers are out there and if a Linnux compartment will help keep me from those guys I would like to try it. Is the Tor Browser good enough or can I install Linnux on this system. I have the room.
Linux user here.
As you can see, there are many ways to run a distribution of Linux.
What you feel comfortable with is the right one as as pointed out, and that involves trying them out.

I like the concept of a Live OS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_USB
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD
I run a version from a usb flash drive that has a write switch.
I am posting from it now.
Open, I can update and save, closed, the drive can only be read.
In regular usage, I run with it closed. In that position, nothing malicious can be written or saved to the drive. True, a session could be corrupted. Not likely, but potentially that threat is there for anyone that's on the Internet. But rebooting, I have an unmolested system because nothing was saved of that last session.

This setup can be run on a WIndows computer, booting into Linux rather than WIndows, or even run without a hard drive.
I have run both, in the past, on the same computer but currently only run PuppyLinux from a usb drive with the hard drive disconnected.

Tor is easily installed in Puppy, but I'm not a fan.
It's not 100% secure and it's said to be easy to misconfigure/incorrectly use it.
I don't use it.

If you've been using Firefox as a browser in WIndows, it looks and functions about the same in Linux.

PuppyLinux can also be booted from a DVD.
That's where I started with Puppy.
A DVD boots Puppy slower than from a USB drive, but is also secure. You can even remove the DVD disc after it boots.

It's often said, Linux isn't for everyone.
It's not Windows. There will be a learning curve just like there was a learning curve the first time you used a Windows computer.
Be patient and ask questions. There are members here that can help.

#8 ·
Wow, thanks guys. Even tho' I spell it wrong am going to do a Linux bootable thumb drive and check it out. If any of you have pointers on how to produce a bootable Linux thumb drive I would be interested. To me, if it can be done, I just want another system that a friend of mine uses only. Yea, like you all say, there is a learning curve, but it is something I would like to try to keep the scammers at bay. YouTube and FaceBook are the two felons I don't visit often but would like an extra portion of being annonymous. Thanks so much.

#12 ·
Once you got that all done and can run your linux distro of your thumb drive. I would suggest running a multiboot setup....for a more permanent setup. Essential it's an OS on a separate drive. This keeps the GRUB and MBR separate for each other and no chance of loosing Windows like on a dual boot setup - 2 OS's on one drive.

Just unplug your primary drives cables, install 2nd HDD/SSD, attach 2nd set of cables to drive and mobo/PSU, Install Linux distro. Once up and running, power off, reattach primary HDD/SSD cables, power up and windows should boot up. To change OS (Linux) reboot and start tapping F12, this will bring up the boot menu and bypass the BIOS, choose OS to boot up.

#10 · (Edited)
Go here and download to your desktop the 64 bit Linux Mini ISO
https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=281

use the appropriate download mirror location on the lisitngs below the main icon and SAVE IT TO YOUR DESKTOP

Go here
https://rufus.ie/
and scroll down to download and download rufus 3.1.1

Open Rufus WITH YOUR USB flash drive connected - ensure that is shown in the device box
on the second box select disk or iso image on the drop arrow
click the select button to its right and on the window that opens - click to select the saved iso imazge on the desktop

It should automatically then configure on the box further down
MBR and then across from that BIOS or UEFI

then simply click START
wait for it to finish

RESTART the computer and on the boot options key often F12 press it on the loading page and select the flash pen
LINUX MINT will load in ram.

#11 · (Edited)
#13 ·
Rudy2206
You can as said install it, many ways, as mentioned on a separate drive, on a virtual drive OR as stated you can run in ram
Your aim of using it seems to be - to run without any files, cookies etc on the computer
In that case you need to run it in ram as mentioned

As my good colleague Johnny b said
I run a version from a usb flash drive that has a write switch.
I am posting from it now.
Open, I can update and save, closed, the drive can only be read.
In regular usage, I run with it closed. In that position, nothing malicious can be written or saved to the drive. True, a session could be corrupted. Not likely, but potentially that threat is there for anyone that's on the Internet. But rebooting, I have an unmolested system because nothing was saved of that last session.
However do NOT make the mistake of thinking that because you are running it in ram - your browsing is any more secure on Facebook or wherever else than it would be using security measures etc on an installed system.

Reactions: Johnny b
#14 ·

However do NOT make the mistake of thinking that because you are running it in ram - your browsing is any more secure on Facebook or wherever else than it would be using security measures etc on an installed system.
Indeed.
A lot of safe computing starts with safe practices online.
That applies to Windows, Macs and Linux.

Just adding:
When I intend to log onto a secure site, say, to buy something, I reboot in order to start with that ( hopefully ) unmolested system rather than chance having picked up a malicious passenger along my Internet travels.

#15 ·
Rudy2206
Will you please acquaint us with your progress, when of course you get chance.
You asked for a step by step breakdown of booting Linux in a live session
I provided that for you with links on post 10
Wondered how you were doing

#16 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. I haven't had the time to do the actions suggested. Probably this weekend. I rarely use Facebook any more due to all the bad publicity I have heard about its' tracking and snooping activities. I try and tell some of my contacts about why they rarely see me anymore and explain to them what a bad site it is. Seems like some just don't care and use it daily and say almost anything. Their is such a lack of privacy from the internet to our phones it makes me want to go off the grid sometimes. With this virus thing wreaking havoc I am online much more than 6 months ago. That means the scammers are out there more than ever.

#17 ·
Cheers
When and if you do go ahead with the Linux install then please let us know of course if you require any further guidance on that or if indeed all goes smoothly

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.