1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linus install

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by melchizedek, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melchizedek

melchizedek Thread Starter

Hi All :),

Am totally new to Linux...so much so that I'm not even sure how to pronounce it properly...lol.

Anyway.......after getting my mandrake 9.1 download, before messing about installing it, I decided to give the SuSE evaluation disk a go, just to see how it ran.. As far As I can tell the SuSE disk I have is an evaluation disk that runs the O/s from disk, without the need to install.

Followed all the instructions that came with the disk...rebooted...and got a "Out of timing" message from my monitor. After this message I can't alter any of the monitiors settings any more...although I have no idea what to alter if I could.. The screen is dark...although I suspect the OS is running, but for some reason I can't see anything. I say this cos I hit enter and the CD drive started running when I hit enter.....so I'm assuming there's something going on...I just can't see it.

Any ideas guys....I'm loathe to run Mandrake for fear of it not working...since I'm assuming driver support etc will be similar between the two programs. Hence, if SuSE won't work, I'm surmising Mandrake will have a similar problem.

Any suggestions ?

Kind regards...mel

2. aspicer

aspicer

It is "Linux" Pronounced "Lih Nucks". Linus is Linus Torwalds who initially programmed the Linux Operating System Kernel on a 386 computer, deriving from another free Teaching Unix-like OS "Minix".

It sounds like you might have a graphics card compatability problem. You may want to try a Text-mode installation and see how that works out. You will see a "boot:" prompt at that prompt, type "text"

(like this:)

boot: text

(and press Enter).

My suggestion for a New User to Linux is to use RedHat Linux. The installation is very good and easy in recent versions.

Anyway what I think may be happening is you are waiting past the 60-seconds or are just pressing Enter, and the Graphical X-Window System is starting ... but it is not working with your graphics card.

3. lynch

lynch

SuSE's eval-disk makes you do alot of setting up-much like an actual install.If you want to test out Linux this way,check out Knoppix
    Doing a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace or hitting the spacebar might get rid of that black screen.
    HTH
    lynch

4. aspicer

aspicer

* The last SuSE I used was back in 6.2. I liked it then. They have become TOO commercial. Which will probably kill them in the personal market. Not many will recommend it if noone can run it.

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. Yes. restart the X server. Ctrl-Alt-F1 go to an regular VC - Virtual Console. May be able to see some X Server error logging output.

I'd go ahead, like I said before, and do a Text mode install. See if X configuration then picks up the graphics card configuration. Or else some old-fashioned X config testing are in order. He should find out what his graphics hardware is and do some Google.com research. Oh! He said "GeForce 2". That's Nvidia. Nvidias web site has Linux driver suite complete with install. I've got the so so ... TNT2 hardware myself. The Nividia driver install works wonders!

(I don't know why he is having such a problem though. The install should be detecting that card. )

I'm not a big fan of Mandrake either .... I'd burn some Red Hat ISO's and try a Red Hat Linux installation.

5. melchizedek

melchizedek Thread Starter

Ah...thanks for the help guys...I messed around with the settings and finally got it working.

For a non technically minded person like myself however...I'm finding it hard work. As I can't connect to the net through linux at the moment, I'm having to go to windows, read up stuff on the net, and then reboot all the time.

Very tedious....still...I'm persevering. Am desperately trying to set up my modem at the moment...only to find out it's not as easy as I'd imagined...Still...I love a good challenge.

Cheers Guys.....mel

6. aspicer

aspicer

Red Hat has some nice Graphical Wizards for setting up networking, including dial-up, Ethernet, and DSL. Other than that you have a lot of complicated things that interact to set-up. There are howto's on that stuff though. I would expect SuSE and Mandrake and whatever to have such wizards as well. There's no need any more these days for networking Linux on to the Internet to be so complicated.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice