1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux 19 Mate - Freezing mouse cursor and browser

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Sarabjit, Mar 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sarabjit

Sarabjit Thread Starter

Hi. My mouse cursor often freezes. And at times my web browser also becomes inactive. Please suggest solution.

2. mohittomar13

mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    A very warm welcome to TSG Sarabjit.

Is it only when you run the browser that the mouse freezes or you experience the problem generally. Also, what browser are you using?

I would usually update my system if I face a similar problem.

3. Sarabjit

Sarabjit Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Mohit.
    I have Dell all in one Inspiron A 2020 desktop.
    I am running Linux Mint 19.1 Mate 64-bit.All updated regularly.
    I have Firefox,Chromium and Opera web browsers. Updated.
    The problem is on all.
    At times the mouse freezes or it becomes unresponsive and at times tabs don't open.
    I don't play any game on my desktop.
    Hope you will be able to help me.
    Thanks.
    Sarabjit

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Have you tried hooking the mouse up to a different port?
    Have you tried another mouse?

(I had an infrared mouse that collected dust under the left button contact and became problematic till I cleaned it out)

5. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    Once again, I'll 'echo' John, here. People tend to clean the internals of their machines when they think to do so; a semi-regular 'spring-clean' is not at all a bad habit to get into.

What these same individuals never seem to stop & consider is that their peripherals (mouse, keyboard, any thing else you plug in and use constantly) would also benefit from the same regimen. My 16-yr old Dell Inspiron laptop gets a regular strip-down, clean-out and relacement of the CPU's TIM once a year, whether I think it needs it or not. (Admittedly, these older machines are a lot bulkier than modern ones.....but they also have a lot more room inside to work in, too!)

I've got a Logitech T400 'Zonetouch' mouse. Had it for nearly 7 years. If I don't strip it, and clean around the button contacts (especially the left-click one), every 18 months or so, it eventually becomes unusable. The first time I did this was a nightmare; subsequent occasions were a LOT easier.

The Logitech keyboard, too, accumulates dust, tobacco 'crumbs', all sorts of crap between the keys. It, too, gets a semi-regular 'spring-clean. Needs it, as well....

Back in the days before optical mice, the usual culprit was the roller-ball on the underside of the mouse. The two small rollers which pressed against it (at 90 degrees between 'em - for the two 'axes') would invariably get scrunged-up with dirt and grit. I've even found the odd one where hairs and various fibres had got so tightly wound around the two rollers that there was just no way they COULD turn..!

Even optical mice need the wee lens that focuses the sensor cleaning with a Q-tip dipped in warm water occasionally. Then just dry it off with a couple of dry ones.

Have a search on YouTube. There's strip-down vids on there for pretty much any piece of electronic gubbins you can think of. Despite claims to the contrary, electronics and dust/dirt/general 'crud' are not good companions.

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  6. mohittomar13

mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    o_Oo_O(y)(y)(y)

My 1 year old Dell Vostro 3568 have had 2 HDD replacements within 4 months. The one I'm using now was installed 3 months ago. Since then I always keep complete disk image back-up on all my machines.

Sometimes removing hardware acceleration improves mouse responsiveness (in firefox it is found in advance settings under preference options, it is different for each browser). You can try this as it solves the problem most of the time.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice