1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

linux advice

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by myvicisslow, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. myvicisslow

myvicisslow Thread Starter

I have an old computer laying around in my house and I figured I could at least put it to use and learn how to use Linux from it. It's an AMD K6 233MHZ with 96MB of RAM. I'm totally new to linux so I have no idea which version of linux I would be able to run on it. Can anyone give me some advice as to which version to install and where I could find it? Thanks in advance!! :)

2. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

Hey "myvicisslow", I'd look at getting one of the older Linux OS's because all of the new ones I know of, have higher System Requirements then your system can handle.
    Try some of the older versions of the, Red Hat, Mandrake, and SuSE linux OS's. I haven't personaly used Red Hat or SuSE. But I would try one of those because, I have been trying to get Mandrake 9.1 to work and have had alot of problems.
    Also what are you going to be doing on linux? Because they have different system requirements for the two different things you'll probably be doing(Text work and, Graphical things like, movies and games) So I'd try SuSE 8.2 or lower. Or Red Hat 8.2 or lower.

3. lynch

lynch

Mandrake 7 or 7.1 would run nicely on that setup.It will see 64 MB of your 96 MB of ram,but it can be tweaked to recognize the rest after installation.A lot of bookstores have copies of the olders versions bundled with a book for a few bucks.
    lynch

4. snowdog

snowdog

I've got Slackware 9.0 running on a P200 with 48 MB ram. It's quick from the CLI and when I do log into X with it, I use XFce (a little slow, but snappier than I thought it would be).

5. Roo

Roo

Forget Linux, Install freebsd 4.8 min install is 200mb without port collection and X. Get used to it and Linux becomes a breeze.

grab the iso ftp://ftp.freebsd.org min install disk. Have fun and what have you got to lose is you do not like it? a reformat!

you can also install 5.1 but from 4.8 the next full installation is not until 5.2 in freebsd.

Otherwise you can check out http://www.linuxiso.org most distros there and no it is not warez or illegal.

Happy hunting
    Kind Regards
    Roo

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice