1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux and the Boot.ini

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Alien56, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alien56

Alien56 Thread Starter

I need help adding to versions of linux to my windows boot.ini.
    I've tries using E:\bootsect.lnx="Linux" but when I select that when my computer starts up I get an error that says it cannot find hal.dll in my windows system32 folder and that I should replace it. Does anyone here know how to boot linux using the windows bootloader?

2. saikee

saikee

The Linux boot loader first 512 bytes, presumably it is your bootsect.lnx, should be stored inside the directory where boot.ini is stored. That means the "C" drive.

The principle behind is Windows does not support Linux and officialy can't read its partition. This means it has no ability to search other partitions for a Linux boot loader.

To boot a Linux WIndows must have the first 512 bytes of the Linux boot loader "available" inside its own filing system and in the same drive that stores its own NTLDR boot loader, so that the NTLDR can be replaced by the Linux boot loader to dual boot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice