Linux and Windows...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

moebius

Can i install linux and windows xp on the same hard drive?
or at least on the same system?

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Yep, Install Windows XP first but leave some unpartitioned spaced for Linux to be installed on. Then install your Linux distribution.

You cannot install Linux and Windows in the same partition. You will have to have separate partition for each.

How can you keep two strong opponents in the same room. They will break the furniture :D

Well said. Another more technical aspect would be: If you have 2 operating systems on the same partition, which one would your computer know to boot? There'd be a major conflict.

can you put it on two different disk drives.when you reboot the pc.it will ask which operating system use ! ! !

Yes Kromos you are right. LInux LOader (LILO) has been around since quite some time. GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) is the new choice. One more option is XOSLl (Extended Operating System Loader).

But I feel GRUB is used most often

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Originally posted by AbvAvgUser:
Yes Kromos you are right. LInux LOader (LILO) has been around since quite some time. GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) is the new choice. One more option is XOSLl (Extended Operating System Loader).

But I feel GRUB is used most often
NO! You can't make me use it. VIVA LO LILO!!! :D

I just installed Red Hat 9 and it isntalls GRUB by default. I think LILO is slowly being phased out in favour of GRUB. LILO may be very good, but GRUB may be better. I can't argue much on this. My knowledge is quite limited. :rolleyes:

I've used both and besides the fact that thier code is slightly different for identifying drives and partitions-Lilo would look like fstab's syntax(hda1) and Grub use the code the bios uses(hd0,0)-and Lilo needs to be re-run after making changes whereas Grub does'nt', I have no preference.I just let the default install happen.:)
You cannot install Linux and Windows in the same partition. You will have to have separate partition for each.
Actually,it's technically possible and Mandrake once offered lnx4win to put Linux in a windows folder,where you could boot Linux from inside windows,but no one cared to do so.:D (y) They no longer offer this as the whole project apparently was dropped.
lynch

Why would you wish to boot XP anyway?

You can always use tools that allow windows software to run on the Linux system.
Wine and XWine are an example of this.

Note that this is not an emulation but a Kernel messaging clone. Because the Linux Kernel is more productive than the windows Kernel you will note a faster performance when using Office, Flash, Dream Weaver, Adobe and Games.

Just a though

Gizard :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online