1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux and Windows...

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by moebius, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

Can i install linux and windows xp on the same hard drive?
    or at least on the same system?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Yep, Install Windows XP first but leave some unpartitioned spaced for Linux to be installed on. Then install your Linux distribution.

3. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

I think Mandrake will allow you to resize your Windows partition to make room for it.

4. ReNxWar

ReNxWar

Yes, Mandrake will. Very easily, too.

5. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

You cannot install Linux and Windows in the same partition. You will have to have separate partition for each.

How can you keep two strong opponents in the same room. They will break the furniture :D

6. ReNxWar

ReNxWar

Well said. Another more technical aspect would be: If you have 2 operating systems on the same partition, which one would your computer know to boot? There'd be a major conflict.

7. Kromos

Kromos

can you put it on two different disk drives.when you reboot the pc.it will ask which operating system use ! ! !

8. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Yes Kromos you are right. LInux LOader (LILO) has been around since quite some time. GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) is the new choice. One more option is XOSLl (Extended Operating System Loader).

But I feel GRUB is used most often

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

NO! You can't make me use it. VIVA LO LILO!!! :D

10. ReNxWar

ReNxWar

I used LILO..I really liked it. Its very graphical and user-friendly.

11. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

I just installed Red Hat 9 and it isntalls GRUB by default. I think LILO is slowly being phased out in favour of GRUB. LILO may be very good, but GRUB may be better. I can't argue much on this. My knowledge is quite limited. :rolleyes:

12. ReNxWar

ReNxWar

Nor can I defend, my experience is only one sided...I'm sure they're both good.

13. lynch

lynch

I've used both and besides the fact that thier code is slightly different for identifying drives and partitions-Lilo would look like fstab's syntax(hda1) and Grub use the code the bios uses(hd0,0)-and Lilo needs to be re-run after making changes whereas Grub does'nt', I have no preference.I just let the default install happen.:)
    Actually,it's technically possible and Mandrake once offered lnx4win to put Linux in a windows folder,where you could boot Linux from inside windows,but no one cared to do so.:D (y) They no longer offer this as the whole project apparently was dropped.
    lynch

14. ReNxWar

ReNxWar

That sucks, I defiently see its appeal.

15. gizard

gizard

Why would you wish to boot XP anyway?

You can always use tools that allow windows software to run on the Linux system.
    Wine and XWine are an example of this.

Note that this is not an emulation but a Kernel messaging clone. Because the Linux Kernel is more productive than the windows Kernel you will note a faster performance when using Office, Flash, Dream Weaver, Adobe and Games.

Just a though

Gizard :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice