1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux boot CD and RAID'd drives

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by paulb100, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

MODS: I hope this one doesnt get deleted, I didnt realise I was breaking the rules, sorry

can anyone help me extract important photo files from a RAIDed pair of hard-drives before i wipe them clean to re-install the OS

Ive tried KNOPPIX and my BIT-DEFENDER CD (which is also knoppix) but both fail stating "cant find file system" and I think its due to the fact the two drives are in RAID...

I cant boot into the OS so need access to the RAID drives

thanks

2. valis

valis Moderator

as we stated in the closed thread, about the only way to try it is puppy linux, and I'm pretty sure that puppy won't pick up the raid controller.

3. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

no probs, ive got the green light to just leave the photos but would have been nice to get them off

4. valis

valis Moderator

if you can leave them, nuke and pave. Try puppy, but I'm about 99% sure it's not going to pick up the raid controller.

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Taking as given that Linux isn't coping, have you considered a Bart PE solution? Though I've never used it, I understand that you can slipstream in raid drivers while making a PE install. Lot of work though, so if the user is happy you might want to just nuke.

The other thing that occurs to me is that if you did a quick format in the installation a file recovery program might still just get some of the photos back.

6. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

im unsure of the drivers - i think its motherboard RAID , the BIOS has no options other than RAID or AHCI and it says changing this will lose OS and need to be re-installed - its currently on RAID - the laptop is a Fujitsu Amilo XI3670 or sumit like that - im currently trying an UBUNTU 8 disk I have which allows you to try live and it got quite far but the screen has turned black after the log in music and nothing is happening.... i will look into BartPE

7. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

...i tried again with UBUNTU 8 - this time i disabled the HYBRID GRAPHICS option in the BIOS as i thought that might be why it never came on screen as it has both onboard Intel 4500 or nVidia 310 ... its worked ..ubuntu is on BUT the volume keeps flashing onscreen.... i think its the volume touch slider on the laptop..no driver and causing it to come on constantly - this seems to be affecting the mouse click...i can click the two icons on desktop but when i click APPLICATIONS , PLACES or SYSTEM nothing happens?

should i get a latest version of UBUNTU?

a lot of things arent working... the windows wont move, right-click does nothing, ctrl+C doesnt copy - pretty much useless - i got to the photos thanks to a folder on desktop allowing me access and mounted my SDcard but copy /rightclick doesnt work bah!

EDIT: managed to copy them by openening my drive full screen and the users folder partially open and dragging the pictures folder across... so managed to get them copied with a half functioning ubuntu..

thanks for all your help guys :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice