1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

linux booting menu

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by kungfu, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

I've got PCLinuxOS installed as the other operating system besides win xp...
    I had lilo installed on the boot sector of the drive where PCLinuxOS was installed...
    i got tired with lilo errors and had to overwrite it with grub boot loader...
    I somehow managed to get grub installed and running... i still have windows bootloader in MBR... and it redirects it to grub... and i can start boot PCLinuxOS with grub commands...

now the main problem... i want grub to display a menu list like it usually does instead of the commandline... its really boring typing commands whenever u wanna boot PCLinuxOS...
    there's no file as such /etc/grub.conf.... all i have is /boot/grub/menu.lst.example...

now ppl... do i need to do some editing or create a file something like /etc/grub.conf or something... i'm not sure... tat's y i'm posting here...

looking for some real solutions from u "tech" guys...

thx

2. saikee

saikee

The offical Grub configuration file is actually menu.lst

grub.conf is only used by the Red Hat family and its variants and it should have been symbolic-linked to menu.lst but I notice some don't do it.

You can set up menu.lst. If it is in 3rd partition of the 1st disk and therefore known to Grub as (hd0,2) you can put Grub in the MBR by commands in a Grub prompt
    Code:
    root (hd0,2)
    setup (hd0)
    You can write your own menu.lst or grub.conf

You may find a collection of tips from the last link of my signature.

3. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

"you can put Grub in the MBR by commands"
    i don't want grub in the MBR... i'm happy with the windows bootloader in the MBR...
    and wat exactly wud the commands u gave would do... if these commands will write grub to the MBR then sorry... its not wat i want... all i needed is the grub menu...
    wud u plz gimme details on how shud i write a "menu.lst" file...

my linux resides in (hd0,7) and even grub is installed in (hd0,7)
    and the kernel is in /dev/hda8/boot/vmlinuz.... etc etc...

how bout writing a menu.lst file for me ??? ;)

4. saikee

saikee

A Grub menu.lst is dead easy to write. The information supplied in Post #3 means your linux would boot by
    Code:
    My PCLinuxOS in (hd0,7)
    root (hd0,7)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda8
    change hda8 to sda8 if you have a Sata. I assume your first disk is hda but it could be hdb if you put a CD drive as a Master and the hard disk as a slave.

I run 0.91 and 0.92 versions of PCLinuxOS in my box. Their boot loaders are both Lilo and they both use initrd too. Somehow your version of PCLinuxOS could be different.

If you keep Winodws MBR and want to use it to boot PCLinuxOS then it is a long road to go. As this approach requires a working version of PCLinuxOS available first, Grub installed inside (hd0,7), Grub's first 512 bytes are copied into the "C" drive of Winodws, Boot.ini is be unhidden, edited and hidden again etc...

You could save a lot of grief by asking Windows to boot up a primary data-only partition and has Grub there to take over the booting. This is last of the three tmethods I described in 2nd link of my signature.

You can have Grub without the need of installing a Linux too. Take a look at this thread.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536229

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice