1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux Dual Boot on new laptop

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by lightsareout, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightsareout

lightsareout Thread Starter

I'm getting my new T400 laptop soon and i want to do a dual boot with linux on it. It comes with vista if that matters. I'm not going to do too much with it so I'm asking how should i partition the drive for this? Also I'm thinking about doing 3 partitions, one for vista, one for linux, and one for files. What file structure should i put so that both linux and windows can access it? Lastly, what would be a good distro of linux to run? I use fedora and red hat in class all the time, but have never used any other distros. Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'd suggest NTFS for the Vista and data partitions. I'd use ext3 for the Linux partition because it seems to be the best for Linux, but I am not sure of that. You also want a small linux-swap partition; I think that twice the size of RAM is recommended, but that may depend on the particular Linux.

A good distro of Linux would be one that runs well on your hardware, that you are comfortable with, that supports the applications you want to use, and that you like. You can look at my computer specs to see what I'm using; those work for me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice