1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux Easy...

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Solid_Froggy, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Solid_Froggy

Solid_Froggy Thread Starter

Hello, i'm looking for a simple Linux thing I can download off the internet but I would still like to run my Windows XP. I also don't want it to be to complicated because I am only 12 and don't want to screw up this computer (obviously because I don't have the money). So any reccomendations will be greatly appreciated.

2. tsunam

tsunam

2 good things about linux. Minus one or two of the various distro's its free (if you have a fast connection 56k beware) otherwise its the cost of a cd-r and shipping.

As far as having fun with linux but not screwing up the system, your looking for a live cd. Basically that's a bootable cd of linux with anything you'd want to do to tinker with it , but not have to install anything on your actual machine. Just remember to remove the disc if you want to boot into windows.

The number one recomended distro for live cd's is Knoppix, which you can find at Http://www.linuxiso.org . Its on the front page even when you get there. Just grab the English iso, and burn it to a cd.

3. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Yes. Knoppix is your best bet. Period.

4. Solid_Froggy

Solid_Froggy Thread Starter

I got a 56K modem! Hmm, maybe my friend can burin it and put it on a CD (he has Cox High Speed Internet ;) ). Ok, im screwed if my friend cant do it.

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

DSL. Damn Small Linux. Its an extremely stripped down Knoppix, around 50-100 mb.

6. tsunam

tsunam

oddly enough DSL (damn small linux, is small but far from really tiny linux systems. Course those are barebones fit on a floppy type situation. DSL will give you a idea about linux in a actual system though. Course the first option is to ask said friend to grab it for you and burn it for you. Make him some cookies ;)

7. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice