1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux Firewalll

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by river, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. river

river Thread Starter

Hello,

I really need some help. We have a small peer to peer network here. We have a Linux Firewall (Shorewall) through which we connect to the Internet via a DSL modem. The pc has two NIC. Both with static IP addresses. Unfortunately the pc with the Firewall was moved and unplugged. Since then the Internet connection for everyone on the network has been dreadfully slow. The bandwidth seems to disappear into thin air. From the pc with Linux Firewall the Internet connection is as it should be. The DSL line and modem are perfect - I know that from the Internet connection at the Firewall and through connecting (directly to the modem) independently through a laptop. I have checked the configurations in YaST and all seems ok, although as I am new to Linux and I wasn't involved setting the system up. However, I have checked with our ISP and the default gateways etc are correct. I don't know how or why anything would have been changed when it was unplugged.

I am new to Linux and I don't know what to do here to fix the problem. My head is completely wrecked.

Please help,

River

2. mikewagner

mikewagner

Hello

First I want to know that how user are accessing Intenet using Proxy or Directly Linux Gateway. (And i'm very confused about how could you use both static ips.??????) Pls. explain me in details.....

If you lan users access uing linux gateway then you have to check your dns setting if you ISP has been updated any dns ips.

Second things....Just check your ping request fine to your ISP Gateway.
    (there is nothing any packet loss output).

Check your all lan network cables if any cable are loosed in your switch/hub as you said you connection is very slow. So there must be problem with broadcasting in your network environment.

Can you forward me your sample firewall file so i will check it and let u know about it.

3. river

river Thread Starter

Mike,

Many thanks for your response. Gladly everything is back up and running as it should be. After exploring all avenues I changed one of the network cards and everything is ok now. It was a last resort. If I figure out why the instance happened in the first place I will be sure to let you know.

Once again, many thanks,

Nicola

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice