1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux for a p2

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Tinsoilder, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tinsoilder

Tinsoilder Thread Starter

my dad has a pentium II 200mhz he wants to replace windows 2k with linux we tried madrake 9.1 but that didnt work also knopix doesnt work any suggestions?

he has 1
    28mb ram
    15gb 2gb(has 2k in it) 700mb hardrives

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Didn't think they made a Pentium II 200mhz. I thought they started at 233?

You might have issues running the latest and greatest Linux version on older computers now. They require a little more horsepower these days. But it could be possible that it is something else.

We could use some more details about how you tried to install. Are you trying to make a dual boot system? I am not quite sure I understand your harddrive space. Do you have two drives: One is 15gb and one is 700mb. Is any of that 15gb not partitioned.

You will need to have some unpartitioned space to install Linux onto.

3. Tinsoilder

Tinsoilder Thread Starter

thats all fine the space..
    but when i tried to install madrake it said errpr 80 ax=4280

4. lynch

lynch

Here
    is an older version of Linux (Redhat 7.3) that some ftp mirrors still make available. Search some of the mirrors for older versions you can download.
    Try Knoppix on CD. If it works running from CD you should be able to install it to a hard drive.
    HTH
    lynch

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/194058