1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux for the first time - Which one to choose ?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by daxia, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daxia

daxia Thread Starter

Hi all

I'm starting to dislike microsoft more every day. I was looking forward to using Vista, but I have been hearing so much about microsoft invading your privacy even more, so Im thinking that maybe I should try something else.

I have never used Linux before, so I would like a linux system that is highly compatible with games and programs, and maybe looks something like Windows. I once saw a video on youtube about something called XGL, that looked awesome. Is XGL a linux version and is it any good and is it easy to use ?

(also, I might be a cheap f#¤k, but I would like a version on Linux thats free of charge to use)

Thank you in advance !

2. Gibbs

Gibbs

Hello!

First of all why do you want a Linux that looks like Windows? :confused:

XGL is available for Linux as well as Beryl. All Linux distros are free to download. You can buy them but usually you only get charged the postage and packaging (roughly $10?).

Linux distributions are a different OS to Windows. It isn't meant to be a replacement or like Windows. It will be different and won't do things the same as Windows so don't expect it to.

Linux has LOTS of software and programs, the majority being free. In my personal opinion the majority of them are better then the common Microsoft application (Office etc).

I would recommend Ubuntu for people new to Linux. I'm currently using it and it caters my every need. Unfortuently you might now have much luck with games, especially DirectX 9+. There are programs out there that can run games or "emulate" them but it really depends on what game. Some (like Battlefield 2) work fine as well as ID Software games (Doom/Quake) and generally anything else that uses OpenGL.

You should download a distro (distribution), burn it to CD and boot it. Live CDs allow you to test the OS without writting to the harddrive, so you can check out an entire Linux system and reboot back to Windows if you don't like it.

Good luck and have fun.

3. Gibbs

Gibbs

If your interested in looking at the desktop environment for Ubuntu I've attached some images. I apologise if they seem strange but they're all I have.

The orange theme is the default. The blue theme was a custom theme.

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      132.3 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      116.7 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      143 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      148.5 KB
      Views:
    • 05.jpg
      05.jpg
      File size:
      108.3 KB
      Views:
  4. vtel57

vtel57

My vote would be Ubuntu.

Here are a couple of my Ubuntu desktops. I'm a minimalist, though. Gnome does waaaay more in Ubuntu than just what I have shown here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    *click for bigger pics

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice