Linux Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pentmasturjr

Does anyone know where I can get A free version of linux to burn on a disc. I need one that I can download to my hardisk because my windows xp disc is scratched and I need an operating system.

God Evening pentmasturjr, I suggest you give this Puppy Linux a try it is available free here
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/
Hit the download button at the top and try the Ibiblio site or whichever you prefer, the file you want is
puppy-1.0.7-mozilla.iso
This is a 60 meg download. It needs to be burnt as an iso (different burning procedure) to produce a bootable CD.

When booting select option 4 on the first boot screen and follow you nose, it is pretty easy, use the vesa video if you are not sure.
One click mouse control, either left or right.
Everything loads to RAM and you can remove the CD when the system is up.
Drives can be mounted easily (start > utilities > drive mounter.
If you have a flash drive it easily detects and mounts it. Ensure you unmount before shutdown.

In that you will have an entire ramdisk system, if you follow your nose Start > setup > install to hard-drive you should have it load as a hard drive system.
Use the grub boot loader and place the thing in the MBR section of the hard drive when asked.
It is pretty simple right through the entire process.

You will find the wizard-wazard will see you on the net and assist with other matters very rapidly.
I don't know why, but the burner program appears to hava a hic-cup on some machines I have tried this version on.
I use an earlier version.
Any help required is available on the Puppy site forum, they are incredibly helpful.

This system operates differently to most others.
If you have any problems with it, don't hesitate to ask.
You will likely find (as I have) that once you start using this program it very quickly grows on you. LOL.
Enjoy it!
Cheers, qldit.

Try tis one
http://www.kubuntu.org/

Kubuntu is a user friendly operating system based on KDE, the K Desktop Environment. With a predictable 6 month release cycle and part of the Ubuntu project, Kubuntu is the GNU/Linux distribution for everyone

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online