1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux Home Router - what WiFi card works?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by liquid_vision, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liquid_vision

liquid_vision Thread Starter

Hello there all.

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my home network, as it is much closer to a small office network than an average home one.

I have replaced my router (bt home hub) with a dedicated linux server (ubuntu) which functions as a gateway, firewall and DNS/DHCP server.

Along side this, there is a Unix file server (FreeNAS.....with a few modifications :cool:) , and so far, everything seems peachy.

The snag is this though.

The Linux server is designed to replace my router in its entirely. This means, 4 ethernet cards to split my network into zones, a DSL modem for my connection, and a Wireless card to function as an access point.

Ethernet is fine, but I've had very little luck with either the DSL or the wifi. DSL is related to my choice of modem (BT voyager 104- terrible modem...), and a new one is on the way.

Wifi however is an issue. My current card will not go into master mode, and no driver I can find is capable to doing so.

Does anybody have a recommendation for

a) a good pci ADSL modem which works 100% with linux
    b) alternitivly, a good ADSL modem which connects to the host machince using Ethernet ---- NOT USB!!! (this is a must - I don't run hotplug on any servers, and rebooting to establish a connection is not an option.)
    c) a WiFi card (PCI again, NOT USB) which supports linux 100% natively and works in Master mode.

Please note, anything that requires a Windows NDIS wrapper is out of the question.This must be completely native.

The OS in question is Ubuntu Server 8.04, and I'm running eBox front end on it currently, although there is a strong possibility that this server will be migrated to FreeBSD 6, or possibly DragonFly BSD in the near future.

Hopefully awaiting responses, Alex

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You could bypass the wireless issue by using a wireless router that was configured to see your Linux router as its WAN interface. This would be painless, compared to what you want to do.

Wireless in linux is an ongoing problem.

3. liquid_vision

liquid_vision Thread Starter

That is one of the experiments I played around with for a wee while.

The problem with doing that is that I'm adding another router, which I want to avoid.

Doing so would require that the router uses my sever as a modem, which doesn't change the fact that I have

I've been looking into using a wifi access point connected to one of the ethernet cards, which works pretty well, but currently, I have to use my home hub to serve that function, as it is the only router I have which supports bridging (my netgear router a few years too old, and it won't take any alternative firmware).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice