Linux Install Woes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

I Fix 4 U

Mandriva finds an "82801 FBM ICH6M" and asks me yes/no/hardware info.

I hit no and go next -->

"An error occurred. no valid devices were found on which to create new filesystems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem."

Yes gives me a big list of tons of drivers and I'm utterly confused. I'm on a dell inspiron 6000, rather new. I really want mandriva 2005 LE installed because i must convince my friend linux is good and so far not so good as i'm stuck at the first step of install. :eek: :(

Then, i search google and i get loads of messages saying the same question, and instead of answers multiple people chime in saying they have the same problem so i couldn't find a fix, i hope someone here knows what to do.

I also read about changing things in the bios but the I6000 has a very limited bios and no settings to change anything about the IDE/sata controllers :(

Well I'd really like any help because i'm sure someone here can help me.

alright, I've been chatting with Xneon about this, I believe that both fedora and Mandriva don't recognize the sata controller/drives associated on the sata controller properly. So booting knoppix to see if it see's the drive propperly, and if it does try to do the install from inside knoppix.

Linux on Laptops lists several instances of Linux being installed on a Dell inspiron 6000.
Sounds like Ubuntu may be the best bet.
I had sata controller issues when I installed Mandriva 2005 le on my server. At the 1st screen on install I pressed F2 and typed linux noapci and it continued without incident and recognized and configured my 2 sata drives.
HTH
lynch

I Fix 4 U

boot option didn't work.

I made that decision last night,(k)ubuntu DVD install is almost done downloading.

:D thanx for reassuring me (y)

I Fix 4 U

PS thanx for the wonderful website i'm sure it'll come in handy in the future i'm reading 2 laptops there :)

I Fix 4 U

Ok now having trouble installing KUbuntu :mad: :eek: :(

I'm at [!] Partition Disks

Here you'd guess you select a partition to install linux to. Well i think it can't find any tho it does detect sda.

I try going to Logical Volume Manager ---> No physical volumes (ie partitions) were found on your system.

I am sure I have partitions, 1= Dell diagnostics; 2=WinXP (NTFS) 3=Extended (w/ ext3 "/" partition and "swap" partition) 4=Dell Restore.

Ofcourse I want to install linux in the extended on the ext3 "/" partition, useing "swap" as swap.

[moderators: change name to "Linux Install Woes"

I Fix 4 U

OK all i need to do is use a 2.4 kernel during install. I heard this can't be done with ubuntu but i do hear debian itself you can, and then I could upgrade to 2.6 once the OS is running stable. Then I also heard that you can install mandriva 10.1 using 2.4 kernel and I could upgrade to 10.2 once stable which comes with 2.6.

Do you know of any reason for that?
If it won't install on 2.6, I don't see how its going to run on 2.6.
Sounds like its a problem with the 2.6kernel not having the drivers you need.

I Fix 4 U

IDK som1 said it was an install issue but should work once inside a stable system. Ive g2g scan and do some spyware killing, somehow those *******s managed to get inside my windows box for the first time in 2 years despite my harsh security.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts