1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

linux installation

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by nomad, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nomad

nomad Thread Starter

First off I am new to Linux but have a fair amount of knowledge with windows operting systems. I would like to install linux on an old laptop of mine (133MHZ) so I got on the internet and started doing some reading. There seem to be a lot of different versions of linux. How do I know which versionis best for me? Is it true that you can down load the operating system for free? Number two I wnet to my bois trying to make my CD rom the first boot device just incase I found a linux operating sytem. Well it doesn't look like my lap top has the ability to boot from my CD rom. So does this mean I can not put Linux on my Laptop.

thanx

2. saikee

saikee

The first thing I would do in your case is to download Dos 7.10.

It comes with Grub as the boot loader and has a facility to transfer booting to a CD rom.

Can't say it will work in all cases as it depends on the BIOS ability to make available the device.

Once you can transfer the booting into the CD drive then the rest is easy.

Failing that you may have to concentrate on distros that come in a floppy.

If you manage to get the CD drive to boot via Grub then try out a few installable Live CDs.

Live CDs are Linux that can run without being installed into the hard disk. When you are happy with it then you can install it. Not all of the Live CDs are installable but a lot of them do, like Mepis, Puppy, Kanotix, Ubuntu (two versions one Live and one installable), Damn Small Linux, Slax, Whax, Slampp, Knoppix...............

3. nomad

nomad Thread Starter

Is DOS 7.10 free and if so where do I find it?

4. saikee

saikee

It was free as a group of DOS enthusiastic DOS users maintained it from Dos 6.22 upaward. It appears M$ may have taken action to bar them continue with the work according to this site

5. Flashmonkey

Flashmonkey

I use Arch Linux. It wont work on your laptop, the architecture is too old, but I know you can install from floppy disks. It loads the main base of the linux install (kernel, drivers etc) and then connects to the internet and downloads the rest of the data needed to complete the install. You can look around for some other distros that allow this.

6. nomad

nomad Thread Starter

What kind of a partition do I need for linux? I know with a win98se boot disk it has cdrom drivers. Do I have to delete my master boot record or any of my boot sector?

7. Old Bob

Old Bob

nomad,

This "old laptop" of yours, does it now have a "functioning" copy of Win98 that you want to keep ???

If you want to setup a dual-boot [Win98 & Linux] my current favorite distro is Xandros. [the "free" version]

http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopoc/dsk_oc_download.html

It is very "Windows-like" and easy to learn. The partitioning portion of the installation will tell you exactly how to setup dual-boot.

If that laptop has ONLY Win98 on it, then leave the MBR alone. Xandros will re-write a new MBR when it is installed.

P.S. I you want to buy [rather then download] this site is only 99ยข + shipping.

http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/modules/cart/index.php/ba/pdtl/product/269

8. nomad

nomad Thread Starter

no I want to get rid of win98. What I would really like is a step by step web site that would show me how to install redhat v6.1 (w.hich I have)

9. Old Bob

Old Bob

nomad,

Do you have a Win98SE boot floppy ???

If you do - run Fdisk.

1) Put floppy in drive and reboot computer.
    2) at the A:\> prompt type - Fdisk
    3) Use Fdisk to remove ALL partitions on hard drive.
    4) At the A:\> prompt type - Format

Remove boot floppy and put Red Hat CD in drive, reboot computer and follow instructions.

NOTE: Red Hat 6.0 is a VERY, VERY, old distro. Well over 5 years !!!!
    You could do alot better !!!

10. nomad

nomad Thread Starter

I cannot boot to my CDrom it does not have the option in the BIOS. I only have to options (A,C OR C,A). What Linux version would you suggest that is free? My Laptop is 133MHZ with a 6 GB HDD and I only have 64 MB of ram.

11. Old Bob

Old Bob

nomad,

See post # 2 by saikee - especially the part about "live CDs".

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice