1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux instead of Win 7?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Biffons, Jan 18, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Do Menu > Desktop > Desktop Settings then Wallpaper (I used slacko-wall6.svg) and/or Desktop Icons > Theme (I used StandardSvg).

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    XenialPup 7.5 64bit uefi

desktop.jpg

1982 Yamaha XV920R
    Caesar Creek Lake, Ohio early spring about 9 years ago

Miqw7394 likes this.
  3. Biffons

Biffons Thread Starter

Thank you!

That looks very nice, the motorcycle as well.

4. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    @ Biffons:-

Nearly forgot; I never showed you my wee puppy, endlessly romping across my desktop.... :LOL:

[​IMG]

I'm now in the 'classic' Slacko 570 - this one's based on the older Slackware 14.0. Allan's 6.3.2 is built around 14.2, I believe.

The 'Slacko' (Slackware-based) Puppies aren't quite so feature-rich as the Ubuntu-based Puppies.....but they're more stable, due to Slackware's famed conservatism. 570 is the Puppy I always turn to when I simply want to get on with things.

------------------------------------

BTW, you can add any wallpapers you want. Find an image you like online (I find it easiest to simply Google or DuckDuckGo for 'desktop wallpapers' or 'desktop background images'.) Try to find one in the same resolution as your screen; most wallpaper sites will offer a selection of different sizes.

Download it, then move (or copy) the downloaded image to /usr/share/backgrounds. This is where the Background selector in JWM Desk Manager looks to find wallpapers. Once there, you can select & apply it in the normal way.

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  5. Biffons

Biffons Thread Starter

Yes, the ever romping puppy is awesome. I didn't try Slacko yet, I am just downloading it, also very small, 238 MB. Had tried Xenialpup before with the squirrel.

OK, very easiely to handle the wallpapers, thank you, Mike!

6. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    @ Biffons:-

Just as a little demo of what I meant, here's how I load new wallpapers in Puppy:-

Hope that's clear enough.....

Mike. ;)

7. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    Further to my post about my wee puppy on the desktop, I thought I'd just mention that the same Fredx181 who built the GIF creation tool, also built the small app that I use to place Puppy exactly where I want her on the desktop.

It's called, quite simply, 'Animated GIF on Desktop'. Fred originally published this as a series of .deb packages (he also publishes, and maintains, the 'Debian Dogs'; based on the Debian Live CD, but heavily modified to look and behave like Puppies); for ease of use, I simply concatenated everything into one simple, easy-to-install .pet package.

Anyone who's interested can find it here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aXA0Isf_O94EvE6Q063IKuf867uQG_QC/view?usp=sharing

Once installed, you'll find it under Menu->Graphic->Animated GIF on Desktop.

You need to have your GIF image ready to use; once again, it's simpler, probably, to find a suitable GIF image by either Googling, DuckDuckGo-ing, or visiting Giphy (or similar sites). The script also pre-supposes that your GIF image is the correct size for what you want. If you need to modify a GIF image in any way, this site is the place to go:-

https://ezgif.com

Any mod you wish to apply to a GIF image can be performed here.....literally, anything. And it's a lot simpler to let their servers perform the 'grunt' work of conversion, trust me!

------------------------------------------------

Once your GIF is 'ready to use', run 'Animated GIF on desktop'. All it does is to produce a 'run script' that positions your GIF on the screen, where you want it, via 'x' & 'y' co-ordinates. The script will be created in /root.

If you want this GIF to start, with Puppy, every time at boot, simply move it into /root/Startup. The contents of this directory are executed at boot time. Left-click:hold->drag to 'Startup':drop->in the wee window, select 'Move'. All done!

-----------------------------------------------

One last thing. 'Animated GIF on Desktop' makes use of 'ffmpeg' to run correctly; 'GIF Creator' does, too. The 'ffmpeg' supplied with older Puppies (5-series, and some early 6-series, used a very old ffmpeg that didn't support some of the necessary options; they were simply never 'compiled-in' at build time) needs to be updated. Fred, once again, compiled a relatively new version of 'ffmpeg'.....and I, once again, took the compiled binary and packaged it up to make it a simple 'click-to-install' item.

The original, elderly ffmpeg - from around 15 years ago! - is around 700KB in size. The new version is considerably larger, weighing-in at around 30MB.....but the way it transforms multi-media stuff in Puppy is quite noticeable. If you'd like to upgrade, you can find both 32- and 64-bit versions here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dy_0usSjPUHXC72oACa7ECMT8h1WdQvO?usp=sharing

The 64-bit versions are only needed for older 64-bit Pups; both Xenialpup64 7.5 and the newer Bionicpup64 (currently at 7.9.8 RC1 status), both have sufficiently new enough versions to make this unnecessary.

Have fun!

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  8. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  9. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Actually 2 considerations.
    I've always kept business, family and general concerns that identify me, on a stand alone computer. Why take the chance that I may not be better at protecting my data than someone trying to steal it for financial gain?
    My first stand alone computer was bought at auction for $150 19 years ago. Win 95 on an Ultra, Pentium 200 MMX. Slooooow! :D
    So I committed myself on it, to the Microsoft way.
    As a newbie to computing,I needed a lot of hand holding. Self taught mostly, though. Didn't find TSG for several years.
    Linux wasn't friendly like it's becoming.

Over the years, I progressed through faster computers, software that became a bit more specialized but MS bound.
    I became used to PaperPort as a better filing solution, but it had a proprietary file format ( .max ) no one else used, and nothing under Linux that would open, edit or save a .max.
    After 19 years of business and tax filings, I have many thousands of .max files and only PaperPort that works well with them.
    Classic trap ahead.
    PaperPort was sold to Nuance. Not only did Nuance degrade the app in stability, they dropped supporting the .max format. Sure, newer versions had the ability to convert all the .max files into Adobe .pdf. And consumer complaints confirmed a user could also wind up with a corrupted data base.
    That is one reason I keep on with MS Win 7. Well, that and Paperport Ver.8 isn't supported on Win 10. It's even a forced install on Win 7.
    The other big reason I stick with Win 7 is that I use a lot of voice recognition from time to time. And it doesn't work well under Wine. Dragon Naturally Speaking, also eventually bought out by Nuance, whose latest versions are probably past DNS's zenith of efficiency. ( :rolleyes: )

In the above case, it's just not practical to jump ship.
    I'll keep on using what works best for what I need.

That's why I considered Puppy for Internet connectivity.
    The MS Windows path no longer seems friendly to me with Win 10.
    I had issues with the very first rollup security updates with Win 7.
    I'd had enough of MS bungling updates. I had been playing with Linux Live CD/DVDs for a while and committed to using SlackO Puppy full time on the Internet, progressing to TahrPup and now XenialPup. That started about 3 years ago.

It's said there is no perfect OS. But I believe Puppy is much better than Win 10 for what I want to do :)

I guess that's enough of the Puppy promotion for now :D

Miqw7394 likes this.
  10. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    No way. Never too much!! :LOL:

Mike. ;)

Johnny b likes this.
  11. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    LOL!
    Okay. :D

For those that are tired of constantly investing in the latest and greatest of computing just to stay secure as the current MS Windows goes end of life and security updates no longer provided......
    Linux provides an advantageous financial option.
    Most Linux distributions are free downloads to use as seen fit.
    So there is that in savings.

And Live versions offer another financial advantage.
    Hard drives are a consumable over time. SSDs also.
    3 to 5 years seems common, some longer some shorter.
    But they cost comparatively more than the media used for Live Linux CD/DVD and USB.
    A 1T hard drive can cost as little as $50 on sale or $100 regular.

I found that with added software and updates on a Live DVD, I can go about one to one and a half years before I need to replace the DVD with a new fresh one because of space limitations. If I bugger up several discs it's still no great loss.
    I buy Ridata DVDs from Newegg, on sale, for $13 per 100 discs.
    If I were to consume 5 discs a year ( I haven't since the first year :D ) that's a potential time line of 20 years usage for $13. Not bad.

I bought several 16gb SanDisk USB 2.0 flash drives for $5 apiece from Best Buy.
    They are reusable. How long they last depends on how many writes and rewrites are performed, so that's hard to estimate.
    Since Puppy can be configured not to write back to the flash drive periodically and only for intentional saves and updates, I suspect 5 years may not be unreasonable for a quality flash drive.
    So even with the advantages of greater storage and faster booting, 20 years of usage might cost only $20.

And you can apply the above to an already used computer facing obsolescence and yet get good results.

Don't know if you really want to keep that old raggedy computer for another 20 years ( :D ) but that's what it would cost for storage.
    You could even replace it periodically with a cheap $30 to $50 used unit a bit more up to date.

And then there's me.
    My first experience with a useful Linux Live CD was with Slax looking on the internet for the reason why Windows 98SE wouldn't boot on a $35 garage auctioned computer I bought, after I installed a new network card. ( motherboard chip and driver issue )
    Slax would, naturally boot it, it was Linux after all LOL!
    That was then, this is now.
    I now am using a recently bought, new leftover Acer Veriton I5 8gb business computer I bought from Newegg, on sale of course, and immediately disconnected the Win 7 Pro installed hard drive. ( the Acer was a $400 unit including shipping )
    With XenialPup, this thing really flies :D

12. Biffons

Biffons Thread Starter

Yes, of course, can't be clearer, thank you very much for the video!

Many thanks, great, just downloaded.

Thank you very much for this!

OK, and the same for every other program, I guess, to be started with Puppy.

Many thanks for the link.

Thank you very much, Mike!

Yes, that is a good idea. But quite a lot more work to separate those, I assume.

Yes, but to find out what is the best for oneself seems to be much work. And using different Operating Systems (at the same time) as well. And to get used to Linux. Thank goodness those distros, Puppy, Mint are very similar to Win.

Well, I should have heard that promotion earlier. 23 days ago - after a Win update (don't know if it was caused by it) - the Notebook didn't start anymore, was not repairable (with the Win tools or else by myself), no access to my data, so I bought a new SSD I put in the Notebook and an enclosure to copy the data from the disassambled SSD back to the Notebook to the new SSD and re-installed Win 10 on the new SSD. If I had have a distro running on a USB-Stick I just had plugged it in that Notebook, had started Linux and simply had copied the data to an external drive and re-installed Win on the old SSD without the need to disassemble the Notebook.

13. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Not as much extra effort for me as you might expect.
    This is of course 'my story' and other's would have differences.
    I had already divorced my online usage and personal usage over a decade ago, so my 'drill' so to say was already set and in motion.
    You and others may want or need a different plan.

When I jumped to full time Puppy for internet connectivity, things got better. I have more time for myself rather than constantly having to read up on the latest Windows vulnerability, react to it, worry over it, install the latest security update that breaks something, causes a new vulnerability or even bricks a computer.
    And over time, all of that has happened to me, even though I'd wait a couple weeks to see what updates were being removed, re-released or with drawn for a work around.
    The last straw for me was coming home from a stay in the hospital to watch the security update model change for Win 7 to the Win 10 model, rollups.
    After a less than a dozen reboots, one computer refused to boot and the repair disk complained the restore function was corrupted. Only a drive image could restore the damage from the update. The other Win 7 computer slowed up drastically on several reboots, but rather than drag out the pain of the other one, I did a restore right away after seeing the same problem and it functioned properly. This was not a common problem, but a search found others having issues also like mine. Apparently some similar software configuration issues. The later went into closet storage as a backup and the other is now used, but seldom, for testing software packages and playing a few older games.

For me, getting Windows off the internet and switching to Puppy has made my life simpler
    and more enjoyable. A lot easier ;)

But that's me :)

14. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you have Puppy on an Easy2Boot Usb stick change the .iso extension to .isoPUP then in Puppy do Menu > System > Puppy Event Manager > Save Session tab > set Save interval to 0 (zero) and tick the Ask at shutdown ... box that appears > Ok

That will make Puppy ask you if you want to Save the session or not when you shutdown, handy if you mess anything up and don't want to save.

You can also use the Save icon on the desktop to save changes at any time.

15. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Thanks, have done. (y)

Works with LiLi also.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice