1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux Live Distro good for drive management?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by necrovamp, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

Well, I'm basically looking for a linux live distro that is....well recommended for swapping partitions on hard drives ect...
    My situation is, I have a hard drive that could be failing, but I have so much data on it, I'm afraid to do a windows "repair" chkdsk, cause that usually screws things up more, and when I'm managing it regularly in windows, it has some corrupt files.

So I was thinking I would copy the entire partition over (safely) if possible to a blank drive, then reformat the possibly bad one, or at least do a scan for errors after copying.

So this may be a part 2 post.

Either a linux live recommended distro for partitioning drives, or a suggestion on how to save this data....without losing it....

I know people always say, by the time you decide to get a backup drive, it'll be to late. Well I don't exactly have alot of money, and I have many gigs to backup so online isnt an option. The bets I can do is wait for a drive to start failing, and save the data before it completely dies.

Anyways thnx for your help, and hope to hear from you tomorrow

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use parted magic linux for a number of hard disk tasks; secure erase, file copy, data recovery, etc.

With that said, data you do not backup is data you do not care about. All drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Macrium Reflect free will allow you to create an exact copy or image of the partition/drive: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Hard drive defects such as bad sectors cannot be copied from one hard drive to another.

After copying the partition or just the data, you should download the manufacturer's diagnostics and test the drive, don't bother running chkdsk or reformatting it until the manufacturer's diagnostics pass the drive.

5. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

I have the entire drive backed up, without errors during the process.
    The hard drive diagnostics from Hitachi didn't come up with anything (its a hitachi drive).
    Could there just be a problem with the partitions (2), and I can simply reformat it (1 partition)?
    Also, I used a direct copy of the partitions to back them up.
    If I put them back, they will not have errors correct (if it was the partitions causing the errrors)?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What problems are you having?

7. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

The drive that could be failing, sometimes simply un-mounts in windows while accessing data through explorer.
    Also it has also un-mount while copy large amounts of files (over 500megs) with explorer.
    In relation to that, only while copying large amounts of files, or accessing the drive, explorer hangs.
    What I meant by that is, any programs that are open work fine, but anything to do with explorer, start menu, shortcuts ect... freezes.... It eventually starts copying again and explorer starts working again, but it seems to do it every 30-60 seconds.
    And Also, I mentioned I copied that partitions exactly when I backed them up. The program I used didnt seem to hang, and it comes with a built in mount program to access the backup file. Explorer has the same hanging problem with the file.

Overall it seems that windows explorer does not like it.
    I have tried the windows explorer on windows xp 32 and 64 bit as well with the same "hanging" result

I havent treid any other OS other than windows

8. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

I suppose the drive is bad, I decided since I had my backup image to reformat it, I did, and later windows stopped being able to read the partition after a chkdsk scan.

I tried to reformat it again, and I received an error "Error writing partition chains" I think is what it said.
    And now the drive is fully unmounted, windows cannot see it.

I took out the drive for a minute to examine it, (no damage), and it had a sticker on it, Febuary 2009, is the life of a 500gig Hitachi sata drive really only 2 years?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could be a faulty SATA cable, power cable or SATA port. Hitachi has a 3 year warranty I believe.

10. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

I'm hoping its not port, its a new cable, and power supply is bout a year old, motherboard is around 2 years old as well. I might have a spare computer ti try the drives in. I also can try a linux CD and see how well it copies files between the drives. I'll reply back later when I have more information. Thanks for your help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!