1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux Mint & Cloudready dual boot

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Hc789, Aug 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hc789

Hc789 Thread Starter

Hi all,

So I've been trying to get my old Acer Aspire 5742 set up as a dual boot of Cloudready and Linux Mint. I've followed multiple guides and got near to the result (grub showing two OS' etc) - but every time I complete each guide my end result is the same - a system booting Linux mint fine, but failing to boot Cloudready.

Each guide has mentioned changing my bios to boot UEFI and I feel like this may be the problem - when I go to the setup page of the INSYDEH 20 utility setup tool I don't see to have many options i.e no advance settings. This has meant I've skipped this step and crossed my fingers but I don't think it's working! I'm wondering if I can update the utility to show the advance settings.

Currently, the OS I am using is Linux Mint as it's the only one working properly.

Is anyone able to provide any advice? Could it be the bios/UEFI issue or do you think it may be something else? Any help is massively appreciated.

Cheers!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    PC introduced in 2011? If so, it doesn't have UEFI firmware.

Are you really using Grub, not Grub 2?

And unless you replaced the hard drive you have MBR (not GPT).

So, concentrate on guides for BIOS, Grub 2 and MBR.

I probably can't give much more help; but I think for anybody to help you'll have to give more information. Which OS did you install first? Where/when do you see "grub showing two OS' etc"? If during the boot, what happens when you try booting the other one? ...

3. arochester

arochester

4. Hc789

Hc789 Thread Starter

Thank you - I think it is a 2011 introduction so doesn't have the UEFI firmware. Can I address this without replacing the harddrive?

Also, yes I believe I am using Grub 2.

Installation as follows:
    1. Get a usb of cloudready and a usb of Linux mint.
    2. Install cloudready as standalone.
    (3.a in some guides I've tried partitioning the H-State to 40000mb using the partition manager you can access of the Linux mint usb prior to install of mint)
    3. Install Mint - select install alongside other os.
    4. Restart PC - observe Grub 2 interface. Options are 1) boot mint, 2) advance settings, 3) memory check, 4) memory check. 5) unknown Linux distribution (dev/sbd18). 6) Advance settings of 5. 7) unknown Linux distribution (Dev/sbd20). 8) Advance settings of 7.

Guides suggest cloudready should boot from either 5 or 7, Linux booting from 1. During boot Linux mint is fine but I get a black screen for either cloudready boot.

5. Hc789

Hc789 Thread Starter

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice