1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux - Modem is sometimes detected at boot

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by djungk, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djungk

djungk Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'musing Mepis Linux 6.0.1 with an internal modem that sits in the modem slot, not a PCI slot. The modem is detected at boot up about 50% of the time. Other times, I have to reboot and reboot until it is seen. When it fails, it says that the system cannot detect the modem and the mouse cursor freezes for about 2 seconds. So:
    Does anyone know if there is a place to give the system more time to wait for a response from the modem?
    Is there some program that will find the modem after boot up that I could run?
    any other ideas?

Thank you for your time,
    Don Jungk

MEPIS linux 6.0.1
    Pentium-IV 2.4 GHz
    1.5 GB RAM

2. arochester

arochester

"sits in the modem slot, not a PCI slot". I've seen many computers but never one with a dedicated modem slot.

How do you normally connect to the internet? Is is dial-up? What is the make and model of your modem?

3. djungk

djungk Thread Starter

Hi Arochester,
    >>"sits in the modem slot, not a PCI slot". I've seen many computers but never one
    >> with a dedicated modem slot.

It's a short little slot about 1/3 the length of a PCI. The motherboard diagram lists it as "CNR1"

>>How do you normally connect to the internet? Is is dial-up?

yes it is dial up. I use KPPP (part of KDE) to connect

>> What is the make and model of your modem?

A modem querry shows:
    ATI SmartLink Soft Modem
    ATI 1 2.9.9d Smart Link Ltd.
    ATI 3 alsa modem driver

I'll mention that this modem always works if I boot with my old MEPIS 2004 Linux system.
    it is found at boot up about half the time with my new MEPIS 6.0.1 system.

I believe this is probably a WinModem.
    Before I upgraded the system, I tried 2 different PCI modems that both said "Linux compatible" on their boxes, but neither could be recognized by the installers. So I went back to the original modem that came with the computer.

What I'm hoping is that someone will know how to either give the system more time to locate the modem at boot up or some way to have the system rescan for hardware after boot up. It is working now, It's just that I sometimes have to reboot 2 or 3 times to get the modem recognized.

Thanks for your time,
    Don Jungk

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice