1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JasonSCSN, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasonSCSN

JasonSCSN Thread Starter

Hello, I decided to install linux and use it as my main desktop because I seemed to like it much more than windows right now but theres one thing that makes it impossible for me to use it.

That is my internet connection speed. I am suppose to max out at around 600 KBps but on linux I am only getting like 20 KBps. But first the situation is this.

I have 2 computers on my desk, one windows and one linux. They both DO have wireless cards and of course I have a router that give my windows pc connectivity. But because I can not seem to get my wireless card in my linux pc to work bc of the drivers (Yes I know about ndiswrapper but I never can get it to work) I set up a bridge connection through ethernet from my windows pc. I dont know if the ethernet cable is slowing it down or causing it to go only 20 KB. Because ethernet is supposed to be fast. So I am not sure why it is downloading so slow. I download a whole bunch of stuff on linux, and just downloading a 40 MB file takes like 20 mins, and I cant work with that bc normally it would be done in like a few mins. So anyone know what might be causing this?

Note: I am using Fedora 5

Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice