1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux on ASUS T102HA

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by llsee, Sep 9, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. llsee

llsee Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Does anybody have experience installing Linux on the ASUS T102HA? I would like to replace Win10 Home on this Intel Atom powered little PC. I have been toying with the idea of installing Lubuntu or Ubuntu-Mate on this under-powered machine. If anyone has tried, successful or not, I would appreciate your comments or help.

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

It should with no problem. I would download your linux choice to a DVD/USB drive and use it as a live media. If that works then you can install it.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I have an ASUS eeepc that came with linux installed. I suspect your Transformer will run linux just fine.

I've run live versions of lubuntu and xubuntu on mine. The eeepc only has a 4GB hard drive so I can't install a modern distro but I do run them from a USB stick.

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I've got one of those....does you web cam work with linux

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Not clear on if you own an ASUS T102HA or an eeepc.
    To answer for the eeepc, I suspect it works in the original linux. I never use a web cam and in fact have postit notes blocking the came on all our netbooks/laptops. So I've never tried it when I run a live distro.

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Sorry......yes, tis the eeepc. It's in storage somewhere....lol.

7. cornemuse

cornemuse

plodr,
    I too have an eeepc, you said you run off a usb stick.
    How about off an sd card in the sd card slot?
    With XP I used the sd to install various progs.
    Gettin' some large sd cards cheep nowadays.
    Which ubuntu you reccomend?
    What about Mint Mate? <- I like it.
    -c-

8. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    You could do a lot worse than give 'Puppy' Linux a try. Designed from the very start, 15 years ago, to live on a USB stick, it loads a virtual file-system into RAM and runs from there for the duration of the session - hence why it's so blisteringly fast, since RAM is the fastest component of any machine.

For anyone who has an EeePC, one of our forum members maintains his own re-master of 'Slacko' Puppy that was built from the ground up with the intention of running on these quirky notebooks. All security-related items are kept scrupulously up-to-date.....especially the 'TLS handshake' stuff that lies at the heart of the way the modern web functions.

And yes; webcams work fine in Linux ( getting my own Logitech c920 HD 'Pro' up-and-running was a piece of cake - just plug it in and use it), so long as you do a wee bit of research and go for UVC-compliant models. Which gives you quite a wide selection to choose from....

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Booting from an SDcard will depend on the particular device, some will and some won't.

I installed Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS on a tablet a while back and it works well, I was lucky - the touchscreen worked straight away.
    It took quite a lot of online research to get the screen and touch to rotate together automatically when the orientation of the tablet was changed (but I got there in the end).

EDIT : This should help if you haven't seen it already :- https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/18-04-lts-on-asus-t102ha-tablet-review/18461

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I've never tried booting from an sd card so I don't know. I own about 40 USB sticks. My sd cards have movies on them.

My favorite is LXDE desktop
    https://lxle.net/

I was never happy with Puppy. I also don't care for Ubuntu.

I've run CrunchBang! and Peppermint, which was recommended on the old eeepc forum before it disappeared. As I remember both seemed very slow. Of course what do you expect from a mini computer that was new in January 2008!

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Another day and I have more info to add about an eeepc.
    I made an LXLE desktop USB stick. (18.04.3 LTS)
    I have to press esc when I power up the eeepc and I saw 3 boot options: internal hd, USB stick and USB card reader sd card. So it appears that you should be able to boot from an sd card.
    I wasn't able to determine if the webcam is usable. I didn't see it listed anywhere. I could have disabled it in the BIOS.

It connected to my wifi with no problem. I have sound and video. I started watching a YouTube video to test it.

It is painfully slow. That is to be expected from an 11 year old piece of hardware. I can't see me browsing on it. I'll grab my 10.1" android tablet instead of viewing things on a 7" screen.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice