1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux or Unix

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ChrisJ, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Thread Starter

I have an old computer and I wanted to do something different so instead of Windows, I was thinking about put Linux or Unix on it just for kicks. I'll also feel that some basic, know how about these ops would be good for me to have. What would be a good one to start with and what's it good for?

2. lynch

lynch

Posting the specs for that "old computer" would help narrow down the choices:
    cpu
    memory amount(important)
    HDD
    Vid card and monitor
    Id be easy on myself and try Linux first.:)
    lynch

3. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Thread Starter

It's been a while since I've really looked at it so I'll get as close as I can.

233Mhz (don't remeber the brand)
    40MB RAM
    20Gig HDD
    56x CDROM

I'm not sure about the rest, the video card is 4 or 8 MB and not sure about the monitor I just know it's about 3 years older then the computer (we got the computer in 95). I was thinking Linux myself, would you know a good site to go to about it? Thanks for your help.

:)

4. trevor1

trevor1

not really enough Ram for running X but hard drive and processer is ok, um www.linux.org

5. trevor1

trevor1

6. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Thread Starter

How much RAM would be a good amount? It shouldn't cost much to add some, so what should I go for. (Of course as long as the mobo excepts it)

7. trevor1

trevor1

well, 128 is pretty good, and i would go with mandrake linux, thats what i run, its easy and user freindly
    WWW.Linuxiso.org
    thats the place i download iso images for free

8. trevor1

trevor1

Oh, and be worned that you will you probobly ever by a windows machine again in you life!!!!

9. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for your help, both of you.

10. E-Quality

E-Quality

128 Ram probably too weak for Genome. I have an AMD 450, 96 Ram, and 4.5 gid hard drive Toshiba notebook. It has no problem with 98,Me,and XP but once install Red Hat 8.0, it is soo sluggish. I mean huge different.

You probably need 256 of Ram

11. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Thread Starter

Really?!? I was always led to believe that linux ran better then windows and ran off of less via ram and such. Have I been miss led? I know nothing out side of windows and I'd like to change that, fast! That's why I'm asking this.

12. lynch

lynch

128 MB would work ok with kde.Its a bunch of other things that get installed ,like unwanted services,that may slow your comp down.256 MB is the ideal minimum amount and I dont run anything with less.
    Linux does make better use of your physical ram than windows.It also depends on how you use your comp,too.
    lynch

13. E-Quality

E-Quality

My redhat 8.0 is still new and involved very little tweaking. The only thing been added and still in progress is Samba configuration. I do installed a few more development tools such as jdk and scripting tools on top of personal version. Not sure how linux manage the memory but from what i observed Red Hat is slower than windows. When I tried to open a few (arond 4 applications) the machine run very very slow .. almost another 3-5 minutes of idle time for another application to pop up such as OpenOffice.

Oh sorry .. i am running Gnome not kde. Does that makes a different ?

14. codejockey

codejockey

I am currently running slackware 8.1 on very modest hardware (500 Mhz K6-2 CPU, S3-based video with 4 Mbytes, 392 Mbytes RAM, 20 Gbyte and 40 Gbyte hard drives). I run X-windows, KDE, Gnome and lots of apps without problems. Your response time of 3-5 minutes to open another app is terrible, especially considering your hardware. Although RedHat tends to be a bit bloated compared to slackware, I have to believe that your hardware would more than make up for any difference. I'd start investigating possible performance bottlenecks ...

Hope this helps.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice