1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux question

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by LitomoSilver, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LitomoSilver

LitomoSilver Thread Starter

Okay. I wanna know how I can create a floppy disk boot up for Ubuntu, and get it to turn on the CD-rom...and have Ubuntu run from there, completely without the hard drive. (I'm still looking for my hard drive.)

Or is there a Linux distro that can do just as I've specified? (I also need to get this floppy disk setup in email and do it with my set of floppy disks then get the .iso of said Linux distro from the library...) If you know of such a thing, please PM me for my addy to email to. Thankies!

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

You need to check your BIOS and have both the floppy drive (with gotrootdudes links) and CD-ROM ordered before the hard drive in the boot-order attribute.

To run Ubuntu completely without the hard drive, you should locate an Ubuntu Live CD website and download the ISO image, and burn it to CD.

Then, if your CD-ROM is ordered before the hard drive, you should be able to boot up that version of Ubuntu and run totally from memory.

-- Tom

4. LitomoSilver

It's a good thing I already have three different versions of Ubuntu...Kubuntu, Edubuntu and Ubuntu. I think it's the current version right now. I'm so far behind everything related to technology, I know it'll be pretty near impossible to find out what.

Nah, no need for it to be setted up to do a hard-drive boot...I can have it do floppy, then CD-rom...I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get it to just run off the memory.

Though integrating it into my Windows network is probably going to be a pain...

5. LitomoSilver

I'm having difficulty getting the image created on the floppy disk.

6. LitomoSilver

Also, can someone please explain how to write the image to the disk with RawWrite?

Note: I'm using Win. 95 and Win. XP to do things with the disk & image.

Does this smart booter just scan everything and I can just leave a Ubuntu CD in the CD drive and boot from there?

And how does it run on memory? (How do I do this so that each time I turn it off and back on, it runs from memory each time?)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice