1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux question

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Captainkewl, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Captainkewl

Captainkewl It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

I am running a dual boot with windows xp and Suse. When I use windows the websurfing is very fast. But when I use Suse it is very slow. I used firefox with both. The same thing also happened when I was running Ubuntu. Is this a Linux issue??
    I tried using opera as well but the speed is still very slow. When I use windows and go to a website, the page loads right away (very fast). When I use Suse, I have to wait about 10 seconds before anything even happens. I'm not sure if it could be something in the configuration or what, but it is horrendously slow compared to windows. It just doesn't make sense to me because I am using the same high speed internet connection with both. It's ticking me off, because I would much rather use Linux over windows any day, but I can't sacrifice that much of a speed loss. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. vtel57

vtel57

It's very possible that Linux does not like your hardware configuration. :(

3. Captainkewl

How so? What would I change? I appreciate your response, but could you elaborate a bit. I would really like to get Suse up and running properly so I can use it instead of Windows. I have been getting into Linux at school in the last year or so and I realize I prefer it over Windows. I would really like to resolve this issue, and any other input would be appreciated.

4. vtel57

vtel57

Linux is not always compatible with all hardware on systems. There is a site available HERE that offers a lot of information about what will and what won't work with Linux.

When you say "slow", I assume you mean that the pages take a long time to render in the browser. Is the system itself slow? Do applications (not FF) start up slowly. Is there jerky video display?

Go to a bandwidth speed test site like THIS one and test your speed in Windows with FF and then again in Linux with FF. Post your results here.

Standing by...

5. Captainkewl

hey Vtel. The speed results from windows are: download=9189kbps, upload=610kbps. And on linux download=9301kbps, upload=608kbps. So, the speed results are pretty much the same. basically when type in a URL and hit enter I have to wait for like 10 second for the website to even start loading (with windows it's instantaneous). Once I am on the website any links I click load just as fast as windows, so it's just the initial load of the page. The 10 second wait for the page to start loading is the problem here. Not sure how to improve that. Thanks again.

6. Captainkewl

sorry Vtel I forgot to state that any applications I open in Linux respond just as fast as windows. So there is no problem there. Thanks.

7. vtel57

vtel57

Ah... so that pretty much narrows it down to the browser itself, in my opinion. The question is... why is it doing this? Can you install and try Opera? Or try Epiphany, which is most likely already on the system? Epiphany runs on the Gecko engine like FF, so it may be slow also. However, Opera shouldn't be affected by that same situation.

8. Gibbs

Gibbs

Hey,

First of all are your DNS servers configured correctly? I'm on Ubuntu and have never used openSUSE but things should be in a similar location(ish).

First of all to check your DNS server setup go to "Networking" or the equivalent. For me it's under System>Administration>Networking.

There should be a DNS tab. Check they're setup correctly. If you don't know what your ISP DNS servers are take a look at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/dns.htm if your in the UK. If you aren't search around. If you still can't find them contact your ISP.

Edit: Just seen that your from Canada. Search around.

Now mine are (for Tiscali):
    Primary DNS Server : 212.74.112.66
    Secondary DNS Server : 212.74.112.67

Make sure it's configured correctly. Once it is search for dhclient-script. Open it and check that the nameservers are correct (the same as your DNS servers).

Now that's how I would do it on Ubuntu. I apologise if it doesn't work for SUSE or if it doesn't use the same script but as your not getting any help it's worth a shot.

Another thing to do, that is very popular, is to disable IPV6.

Heres a quote from another forum from a search.

Once again that might not be helpful for your distro but it should put you in the right direction.

9. Captainkewl

Thanks for your replies guys. Vtel, I did install Opera, and it is doing the same thing as Firefox (thanks for the suggestion) And Gibbs, thanks for your reply, I will look into DNS and check the configuration. I'll post an update within the hour.

10. Captainkewl

You know what. The DNS change did it!! My DNS was set to 192.168.15.1 and I changed it to what you had Gibbs and the page loads much faster now. Thanks Vtel and Gibbs, I really appreciate your input. Now Linux SUSE just became my primary OS. The hell with Windows. LOL. Thanks again guys.

11. vtel57

vtel57

Excellent! Glad you got it squared away. Little quirks like that can cause a lot of hair loss. ;)

Later...

~Eric

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice