Linux RPMs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tehon3299

What exactly are Linux Red Hat RPM's?? I am installing Red Hat 9 and what should I know about these RPM's? What do they do and what is the need for them?

RPM's are like windows installers. I belive RPM stands for Redhat Package Manager. Anyways, that's basically what they are - I can't give you a whole lot more info as I'm a newbie myself :)

RPMs are the software packages that are used on Redhat systems,though a good number of other distributions use RPMs,too.(Mandrake and SuSE being the most notable).
The utility for installing,uninstalling,upgrading and even creating RPMs is called rpm .
Here's a little command help for rpm:
  • to install an RPM: rpm ivh filename-version.rpm
  • to uninstall: rpm -e nameofrpm (this should work if the program is in the default path)
  • to upgrade: rpm -Uvh filename-version.rpm(hint:this will work for installing too but removes the older version before installing)
  • if you're not sure if there is an earlier version of an RPM installed you can use the freshen option.This will upgrade only if the earlier version is installed.rpm -F filename-version.rpm
Be sure your in the directory where the RPM is that you're working with.Save you from typing the full path.
Most distributions have a graphical package management system:
In Mandrake it's in the Mandrake Control Center
In SuSE it's in YaST2
In Redhat it's called Add/Remove Packages (or type:redhat -config -packages at a console.
Also read the man page for rpm.
HTH
lynch

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online