1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux server any ???

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by mattbrook, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mattbrook

mattbrook Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am a basic user of Linux. @ my office. I have 8 PC's with XP on all of them. I use a server with Linux software named EZ blue.. GREAT O/S yet it's too basic. What I am asking is.... Can any suggest a Linux based O/S to support 10 PC's acting as a simple file server. All I need is an OS to act as a file server. The only issue with EZ blue is that if a folder is read only the sub folders and each file are too. Anyone ??

Tx's

Matt

2. craigbass76

craigbass76

I tried googling for EZ Blue and didn't find anything, but I'm thick sometimes.

It really doesn't matter what distro you use I think, just get one and install samba. To go headless, you can install putty on one of the windows boxes and ssh in from there to make changes.
    I think samba will take care of your read only trouble; it uses user authentication to give access to files. There's probably a different way, but I would think that you could make a seperate folder for each person needing access to the server then share them out with the appropriate usernames and passwords
    Or you should be able to grant whoever you want (multiple folks) access to whatever folders you want to share out.

OReilly's Samba book is good, but a little over the top for the faint of heart. There are still parts of that book that baffle me.
    There's also a recipe in the Linux Cookbook (also by OReilly) for samba, or maybe a couple. If you trust your firewalls, you can just run a wide open server.

Lots of options, but distro doesn't really matter.

3. mattbrook

mattbrook Thread Starter

Tx's for the advice. Yeah EZ blue is kind of new... I was looking into getting SAMBA. I'll look into Samba more and see what's up. Tx's for the advice :)

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Samba will run ontop of just about any Linux distribution. Doesn't really matter which. You might want to try some of the more mainstream Linux distributions. I hear alot of people are using Ubuntu with Samba.

I have converted over to Suse. I use to use Red hat but dropped them when they moved to that Fedora thing. You could try CentOS as well.

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

Having set up Samba shares on my home network through Mandriva2006, here's another vote for Samba. Excellent documentation.

6. Headrush

Headrush

www.clarkconnect.org

Its simple as pie, got a GUI for configuring everything including Samba and as many services that fit in a Windows network.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice