1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux Slackware

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by tehon3299, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tehon3299

tehon3299 Thread Starter

Hi -

I am looking to download Linux Slackware and all the ftp sites have the iso but they also have a .asc and .md5 file. What are these files and do I need them??

2. Fuzzy Gnome

Fuzzy Gnome

I don't remember what .asc is, but .md5 is a security checksum you use to verify a good download. You use a md5 generating program to generate your own .md5 sum from the .iso and make sure they match. If the master of the ftp site is on the ball, that .md5 will be checked regularly to make sure it hasn't been hacked.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice