1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linux to Windows

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by pinger, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pinger

pinger Thread Starter

I would some how like to modify my NOPIX distro to connect to a windows share. Meaning boot up off of NOPIX, access the partition, and then copy all files to a drive on a windows share. Is this possible?

2. tsunam

tsunam

If the partition is NTFS, the short answer is no. If its Fat32 then that's a yes. Linux can not write to windows NTFS, without most likely destroying the partition.

To mount either you do a

mount /dev/hda(whatever the windows partition is) /mnt/windows -t ntfs(fat32)
    you can also add it to your /etc/fstab file so it automatically mounts it. Just follow the format of one of the other sections.

On a live CD the former is the only way, in a installed knoppix install the latter will make it easier whenever you want to do it.

3. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

you can write to /networked/ ntfs drives as windows and samba will handle that b/c its really using the network files system. just like windows 98 can write to networked xp's even if they use ntfs. normally win98 cant directly write to that partition. there is a program called captive ntfs for linux that will write to ntfs but its unstable. it has its ups and downs.

4. pinger

pinger Thread Starter

Ok,

Adding those lines will mount the Fat32 Partition, cool... now how would I go about mapping to a windows computer? Which file would I have to modify to see let's say a share called data on 192.168.1.5 which is a windows computer.

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

are u asking how to share files with a networked windows computer?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice