1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

linux ubuntu to xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lindian1025, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lindian1025

lindian1025 Thread Starter

Hi Folks, Lets start by saying I am a complete nerd with computers so simple answers would be the best, I can follow instructions. I have just bought an Acer Aspire one aoa150 from a friend, it has Linux Ubuntu installed on it but it looks like it originally had windows xp installed on it has it has windows keycode on the bottom of it, the battery is not charging correctly only lasts for about 15 minutes when fully charged and charges to full power in about 10 minutes I know I might have to buy a new battery, I have read numerous accounts about this problem and it seems that it could be that it needs the a BIOS upgrade but the upgrade looks like it is a windows upgrade, so I would like to change it back to xp, looked all over the internet for answers but there are so many conflicting and convoluted views on how to do this. I am totally lost. Please help if you can. Thanks very much

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    From what I can determine, the Acer Aspire One AOA150 netbook originally came with Windows XP Home Edition.
    The Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker on it will confirm that.

If you go here and then navigate to Netbook, Chromebook - Aspire One - AOA150, the list of Windows XP drivers for that netbook's devices will appear.

According to the driver's list, that netbook appears to have these primary devices:
    Intel graphics
    Realtek audio
    Realtek ethernet
    Atheros wireless
    Synaptics touchpad

Updating the BIOS won't improve battery's burn time, and buying a new battery may not be worth the money.

When that netbook was new and had Windows XP in it, the "Acer eRecovery Management" app was built into it which allowed a factory restore to be done to it if it became necessary.
    Because Windows XP was replaced with Linux Ubuntu, that app likely no longer exists.

To reinstall Windows XP in that netbook, you'll need a Windows XP disc that's the same version on the COA sticker.
    If you live in the U.S.A., you can purchase the disc from here.
    Navigate to Acer - Laptop - Aspire - One AOA150 - Windows XP Home, then follow the instructions.

You refer to yourself as a "complete nerd" with computers, so this likely isn't a job that you can do yourself.

----------------------------------------------------------

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

4. renegade600

renegade600

if the laptop originally came with xp, then most likely the battery is shot. a bios update will not do anything for it but a new battery will. just a fyi, most likely, a new battery will cost more than the laptop is worth.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  6. renegade600

renegade600

that is what I get for assuming it was going to be over 50 bucks :) should have looked it up myself.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I had nothing better to do ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice