Linux

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pentmasturjr

Does anyone know where I can get A free version of linux to burn on a disc. I need one that I can download to my hardisk because my windows xp disc is scrated and I need an operating system.
edit----
Well I found the link but I need to know witch one to download http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/5.10/ I dont currently have a operator on my comp Im using the boot up langue because i just wiped my drive and my disc is scratched as explained a bove, All help will be good.

Most major distributions ship a free version that can be downloaded directly from their website. There is also a site linuxiso.org that has compiled all major distributions for download. If you have a Pentium/AMB chip you will want the x86 version of a distro, if you have a Mac you'll want the PPC version.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You have posted this query in THREE places. Please read the forum rules and only post an issue in one forum. I've closed the others, continue in this thread.

Just about any "Live" CD will do it. You should run it on the "Live" CD without the need to be installed into the hard disk.

Slax, Puppy, Damn Small Linux and Linux Rescue CD are among the suitable aternatives you can obtained from DistroWatch.com. The first 3 are also installable into the hard disk.
Ubuntu has a Live CD version and does an installable version on a separate CD as far as I could remember.

You basically boot up a Live CD, use its command mode "fdisk" or "cfdisk" program to interrogate your XP disk. You can also mount it as part of the Linux filing system so that all data inside can be retrieved to a safe media. Linux doesn't officially write on a NTFS partition can read it. So the data has to be retrieved to a FAT32 partition.

Linux is pretty good in working as a giant utility to XP as it can do things XP incapable of reaching. You can clone the entirely XP disk by Linux too.

I suggest using Puppy Linux for this, which you can download here:

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-1.0.7-mozilla.iso

Then, burn it to a CD-R using this app:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/burncdcc.zip

Just extract the executable and .TXT files, then double-click the .EXE file, and follow the instructions in README.TXT to burn the Puppy Linux .ISO file to a CD-R.

Next, boot the defective system with the Puppy Linux CD; just tell it which keyboard you use (mine is US-qwerty), which type of mouse you're using (USB or PS/2), and whether or not the mouse has a scroll-wheel.

When you see the Puppy Linux desktop, choose the proper screen resolution for your display, and you'll be running a "live" CD version of Puppy Linux without a lot of aggravation and heartburn.

That way, you should be able to check that NTFS drive without having to install anything to a harddrive; Puppy Linux will load into the RAM, and you shouldn't lose any data on the NTFS drive that way...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online