1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Liquid cooled and still overheating with BSODs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FloofTheBird, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FloofTheBird

FloofTheBird Thread Starter

Alright, so my computer has a closed loop liquid cooling system. My average load usage (Youtube, social, etc) keeps my CPU core temps around 15C or so and my GPU hovers around 30C. One would think that, with temps like that, overheating really shouldn't become an issue, but as soon as I use anything 3D my CPU and GPU core temps shoot up to 70+ and 50+ respectively. Now, I've melted down CPUs before, it's a risk when you're a 3D artist, but with my cooling system and a diamond dust thermal paste, even 3D shouldn't be pushing my temps that high.

In order to protect my system the best I can, I have an auto-shutdown utility that cuts my system off when my CPU hits 65C for more than 30 seconds, because I would really rather not melt another CPU this decade, but that's just a bandaid fix for the sake of damage control and results in lost work.

I'm slamming my head against the wall trying to figure out what the heck I can do (and can afford to do) to stop this issue. I've been troubleshooting it for over a year now without any breakthroughs so I'm hoping maybe a fresher mind that doesn't want to strangle my computer will think of a possible solution that I've missed.

The system is kept away from external heat sources, I have a couple of extra fans in there and the case has been opened to allow for as much airflow as possible in hopes that the extra airflow may do something at least. It's cleaned out regularly and, overall, I baby this rig and take as good of care of it as possible so it shouldn't be a dust issue unless I got some serious ninja dust in my house somehow.

Anyways, here's my specs:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 12257 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (474 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASRock, 970A-G/3.1

---

Here's the info from the last crash I had via WhoCrashed:

On Sat 12/29/2018 2:30:55 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122918-25896-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0xA63A0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x0, 0x8, 0x0)
    Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 12/29/2018 2:30:55 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!RtlAssert+0xEA8)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x0, 0x8, 0x0)
    Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

---
    The crash reports are a little older but that's because I set up that shut off to stop them from causing any system damage so there haven't been any legit crashes recently, just emergency shut downs which don't make a crash report.

So, anyone got any ideas? Because I've been fresh out for a couple months now.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

since you have liquid cooling, you might consider the other 2 causes listed for your bsod's : bad ram and old drivers. get the latest drivers for mobo and gpu. then if bsod's continue frequently; go buy new ram.

3. FloofTheBird

Huh, would bad ram or driver issues cause that massive temperature spike only when using 3D applications? I've never witnessed that behavior before so I figure it can't hurt to ask as I'm unfamiliar with the full spectrum of issues that can cause such temperature spikes.

I tested my ram when I first got this system since I was getting errors pointing to a ram issue (this system has been giving me grief since I first got it honestly) and found one bad stick, which I pulled and then the system stabilized -some- but still had temp issues. My last several tests on the ram have come back clear, but then again I am using the windows native tools to test, and we all know how 'reliable' those can be. I may have to find a 3rd party testing method for the ram and run that just to make sure these sticks haven't gone bad as well.

My GPU drivers are up to date, though every driver update the issue seems to get worse so I'm close to raging at Nvidia here, and my mobo had the most recent bios flashed onto it right after I installed it 3 months ago so it shouldn't be that. It does sound like I need to give a better ram testing tool a go, if I can find a reliable one. Happen to know any good, thorough RAM testing tools that may be able to pick up anything the windows native tool is missing?Preferably free ones as I am on a very low fixed income due to being disabled.

I swear, I'm close to agreeing with my SO and declaring this system haunted at this point. . .

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

memtest is the one i use.

mobo has drivers, like chipset drivers. bios is a separate thing.

5. FloofTheBird

Yeah, they're installed, no new versions have come out since 2016.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

7. FloofTheBird

Just ran it, no errors so seems it's not the ram. I also combed through all of my drivers just to make sure I didn't miss any originally and, sure enough, all there and all up to date.

I swear, this makes no sense! I've tried everything, I've pulled this system apart and checked over each component with a magnifying glass for any damage, cleaned everything completely and put it all back together again at least four times this year all to no avail. I've run every test I can think of, keep my drivers up to date, double checked to make sure they're up to date, all of it and the thing is still unstable when using any program that requires 3D. I don't know what else to do at this point and I can't afford a new system, heck, I only have this one because a friend upgraded and gave their old one to me!

If you got any other ideas, I'd be glad to hear them, this is just beyond infuriating at this point.

Edited to add: I also upgraded the PSU some time ago so I know it isn't a case of the system being underpowered. Figured that info is good to add.

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

memtest needs to be run overnight to reveal problems.

9. FloofTheBird

Then it did something funky on me. I'll try it again with a fresh download, see if it was a weird fluke.

10. lynx1021

lynx1021

What liquid cooling do you have? I guess you did put thermal paste on your CPU? CPU is 125Watt, Recommend you have at least a Corsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler Cooling. 280mm CW-9060026-WW. Also you need proper case fan setup to cool all your other components.

11. FloofTheBird

I have the Corsair Hydro H75, it was (and sadly still is) the best I could afford. And yup, I made sure to get a good, even coat of thermal paste down on that puppy last time I rebuilt it. Lemme guess, the old H75 isn't gonna cut it at high loads no matter what I do to it or how high I set the pump and fan speed, is it?

And when it comes to fans, well, umm, I think I'm good there. Yup, five fans in one case, I think I kinda overdid it on the fans >_> But can you ever really have too many fans?

12. replay

replay

Take the water cooling out
    And installl a decent air cooler.....see what happens

13. FloofTheBird

That was the original setup, sadly it wasn't effective enough considering the load that 3D rendering and animation can put on the system. My goodness how I WISH that air cooling did the trick for this rig, it would be so much less expensive.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Liquid cooling [just like any other part] wears out; coolant leaks, radiator clogs, hoses wear, etc. I had an 8350 many years ago and yes it does run warm however you should be able to use a decent air cooler like a cooler master 212. I had mine overclocked [mild OC] and never had a problem when running s stress test.

If you do a lot of rendering, you really should consider getting a modern system. The 8350 is now 7yr old and that is quite old for a processor.
    Are you really sure the system is overheating? What program are you using to monitor temps? You should be using the asrock utility and not some third party program.

65C or so is not too bad when running at 100% load. That temp will not cause bsod, reboots, etc and is within limits for the processor.
    You may have other issues like parts wearing out, etc; 7yr is pretty good for any system.

SarahSims likes this.
  15. lynx1021

lynx1021

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice